• Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

all those who tried to help me and...

Which are correct:

1 I would like to thank all those who tried to help me but I did not listen to.
    2 I would like to thank all those who tried to help me and I did not listen to.

3 I would like to thank all those who tried to help me but I did not listen to them.
    4 I would like to thank all those who tried to help me and I did not listen to them.

I think the first one is correct. I suppose the second one might pass muster. To me '3' and '4' seem wrong but I think people do use sentences like '3'.

Gratefully,
    Navi

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: all those who tried to help me and...

I am not a teacher.

I don't find these sentences particularly natural.

If I understand correctly, there are people who tried to help you. You did not listen to them. You want to thank them anyway. You want to put all three of these elements into the same sentence.

For once, a structure that avoids ending the sentence with a preposition actually sounds preferable. 'I would like to thank all those who tried to help me but to whom I did not listen.

In plain English, that would be, 'I would like to thank all those who tried to help me even though I did not listen to them.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I prefer Roman55's "plain English" version. If I wanted to stay closer to your originals, I would change them to "I would like to thank all those who tried to help me but to whom I did not listen".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would prefer:

I would like to thank all those who tried to help me even though I didn't listen to them.