Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Chile
      • Current Location:
      • Chile

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 18
    #1

    Smile Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Hello,

    I have some doubts regarding the use of 'despite', 'to', and 'none'.

    1) I've heard 'despite the fact that... ', 'despite his/her/their + ing form of a verb', but I'm not sure if there are other grammar structures that can follow 'despite'.

    For example:

    'Despite she increased the amount of flowers in her garden, she wasn't happy'. Can pronouns such as 'he', 'she', or 'they' go after despite?

    'Despite increasing amounts of (something), she wasn't happy'. Can -ing forms go after despite? (or does this depend on the context?)


    2) Regarding 'to', is it acceptable to start a sentence with this preposition?

    For example:

    'Bringing up children is challenging' vs. 'To bring up children is challenging'.


    3) Regarding 'none', should a plural or singular form go after it? I've heard both cases, so I'm not sure.

    For example: 'None of them have a car" vs "None of them has a car"


    I'm sorry for asking about three different grammar topics in one post, but I wasn't sure about starting three threads (I thought it was too much). Thanks for reading my message.

  1. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #2

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie201 View Post
    Hello,

    I have some doubts regarding the use of 'despite', 'to', and 'none'.

    1) I've heard 'despite the fact that... ', 'despite his/her/their + ing form of a verb', but I'm not sure if there are other grammar structures that can follow 'despite'.

    For example:

    'Despite the increased number of flowers in her garden, she wasn't happy'. Can pronouns such as 'he', 'she', or 'they' go after despite? (I don't think so.)

    'Despite increasing amounts of (something), she wasn't happy'. Can -ing forms go after despite? (or does this depend on the context?)

    Perhaps:

    Despite an increasing frequency of sex, she wasn't happy.

    (Why not?)


  2. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #3

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Perhaps:

    Despite increasing the time she devoted to exercise, she was still fat.

  3. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #4

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie201 View Post

    2) Regarding 'to', is it acceptable to start a sentence with this preposition?

    For example:

    'Bringing up children is challenging' vs. 'To bring up children is challenging'.

    Sure, you can start a sentence with to. Perhaps:

    To tell the truth, I don't know what to think about that.

  4. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #5

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Say "I have some questions" and not "I have some doubts".


  5. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #6

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie201 View Post

    3) Regarding 'none', should a plural or singular form go after it? I've heard both cases, so I'm not sure.

    For example: 'None of them have a car" vs "None of them has a car"

    The word none is considered singular. However, when the verb follow a plural noun it is acceptable to use a plural verb.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Chile
      • Current Location:
      • Chile

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 18
    #7

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Thank you so much for all your answers. However, there is still something I don't understand about 'despite'. For example:

    "Despite increased (or increasing?) food intake, the cat continued to lose fat". I still wouldn't know whether to choose "increased" or "increasing" (an -ing form). Is this decision based on context?

  6. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,088
    #8

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie201 View Post
    Thank you so much for all your answers. However, there is still something I don't understand about 'despite'. For example:

    "Despite increased (or increasing?) food intake, the cat continued to lose fat". I still wouldn't know whether to choose "increased" or "increasing" (an -ing form). Is this decision based on context?
    It depends on how you want to say it. If you want to put it in the past tense, say:

    Despite increased food intake, the cat continued to lose fat.

    On the other hand, if you want to put it in the present tense, say:


    Despite an increasing food intake, the cat continues to lose fat.

    (Why fat and not weight?)

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #9

    Re: Trouble with: 'despite', 'to' and 'none'

    In future, please limit yourself to one question per thread.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2013, 13:08
  2. trouble
    By Taka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2012, 10:07
  3. Trouble(s)
    By tipu s in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2011, 12:23
  4. (a) trouble
    By Tapies in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2009, 21:49
  5. the trouble is that?
    By cyber_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-May-2007, 22:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •