Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea of the answer to your question but I do know that they managed, singlehandedly, to put back the understanding of "Don't use a double negative" by decades with "I Can't Get No Satisfaction".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not surprised to get no answer to my question. I also failed to find the correct answer when I first heard the question.

The answer is groupie.

Last edited:

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
That's all well and good but there is no "elite group" here simply backing each other up. If we've never heard it, we've never heard it! There's nothing you or we can do about that. I have read every Stephen King book ever written including "It". If that phrase appears, I am sure I probably worked out what it meant from the context and then never thought about it again. I wouldn't have noted it down in a little book of "idioms used in other countries". Perhaps if I'd gone on to stumble upon it another ten times, it might have sunk in.

No-one is disputing what it means or doesn't mean or how often it appears in Google or anywhere else. All we're saying is that none of us are familiar with it or use it.

I get where you're coming from and acknowledge, but it's one thing to say "I don't use this or that idiom...." and "I've never heard of it.......". If some people do not use a certain idiom, frankly it's their problem, not mine. I like to be informed on all aspects and idioms in my mother-tongue language, whether I use certain idioms of not.

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
There are too many sources for you to be able to quote one of them?

(Why put everything in bold?)

:?:

Indeed, I only quoted ONE source...you know, we have to careful because one might think that one is boring:):)

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
While lingokid considers that Aerosmith created an idiom (and that question remains open), let's have some fun with this thread.

It is absolutely certain that the Rolling Stones contributed a word to the English language. Anybody know what it is? I don't think google will help you.

If you stop putting words into my mouth, I might even be nice and answer your queries:):)

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
I'm glad that someone mentioned Google because all of my ESL students think they can resolve all their language problems by typing words and sentences into Google translator and, as if by magic, get their answers to everything!!!! All serious linguists know very well what kind of garbage online translators are and hopefully, most translators know that Trados is the only SERIOUS TRANSLATOR TOOL ON THER MARKET TODAY:)
By the way, I NEVER MENTIONED Google in my earlier posts related to "toys in the attic"; I choose my tools and sources carefully.:)

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
While lingokid considers that Aerosmith created an idiom (and that question remains open), let's have some fun with this thread.

It is absolutely certain that the Rolling Stones contributed a word to the English language. Anybody know what it is? I don't think google will help you.

Oh clap, clap, clap......I like having fun too...I'm no square you know:):). BUT......if you wanted to post something rock-related, there is a very good section on this website for music threads. I invite you to try it......you will find me there ready TO ROCK too :):):)

lingokid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Bermuda
Concerning rock bands and their contribution to music, I say yes, many bands have contributed to music and to the style of writing lyrics :):):up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer is groupie.

Really? That's cool. Had no idea about that. How did you come to learn this factoid?

(None of this thread changes my experience of never in my life hearing "Toys in the Attic" used as anything other than an album title.)

Also: I'm happy the Stones are British so you're not blaming the double negative thing on the Americans!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know for sure. It may have been right here on usingenglish.com. You have much better research tools than I on that question. Somebody posted the question "which word", and I as a huge Stones fan tried to guess, thinking only of their lyrics. Therefore I was not able to guess, but as soon as the OP posted the answer I felt certain she or he was right.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Not a teacher, nor a member of an elite group.

lingokid: My generation (the 1970s) used it a lot even because American music was the most aired in Oz and always has been.
probus: So if you say that in Australia "toys in the attic" means "bats in the belfry", I believe you.

I'm aware of the title's occurrence in a couple of films, a play, and elsewhere, but as to its usage in general speech, like the OP I can only speak from my own experience. I have lived in Australia for most of the last forty years. In the early days I was very involved in rock'n'roll as a music and a business, so I lived in that environment. Apart from the occasional reference to the Aerosmith album, I have never heard the phrase "toys in the attic" used in general conversation, in Australia or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.