• Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

This ole packet is 'aunted ...

Hello,

A hard nut to crack ...

I can perfectly understand what the sailor is saying in the paragraph below but what baffles me is the sentence I have italicized. The extract reads as follows:

"If this ole packet is 'aunted, as some on 'em seems to think, well all as I can say is, let me 'ave the luck to tumble across another of the same sort. Good grub, an' duff fer Sundays, an' a decent crowd of 'em aft, an' everythin' comfertable like, so as yer can feel yer knows where yer are. As fer 'er bein' 'aunted, that's all 'ellish nonsense. I've comed 'cross lots of 'em before as was said to be 'aunted, an' so some on 'em was; but 'twasn't with ghostesses. One packet I was in, they was that bad yer couldn't sleep a wink in yer watch below, until yer'd 'ad every stitch out yer bunk an' 'ad a reg'lar 'unt. Sometimes—"

The source: The Ghost Pirates by William Hope Hodgson, 1909

Thanks for help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: This ole packet is 'aunted ...

Out of curiosity, if "until yer'd ad every stitch out yer bunk" is the part you can't understand, why is your title "This ole packet is 'aunted"?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The crucial words are 'every stitch'. I imagine some dictionaries include the meaning 'piece of fabric', especially in extreme expressions: 'What are you doing, standing there in the cold without a stitch on?' /

The sailor is stripping his bed to see where the noise was coming from.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 22-Dec-2014 at 15:58. Reason: Repaired gross typo; Dunno where it went -)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am mystified. Until you've had every stitch out of your bunk ...
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I've comed 'cross lots of 'em before as was said to be 'aunted, an' so some on 'em was; but 'twasn't with ghostesses. One packet I was in, they was that bad yer couldn't sleep a wink in yer watch below, until yer'd 'ad every stitch out yer bunk an' 'ad a reg'lar 'unt.
    I suspect that when the old sailor is referring to being in certain packets (ships) which were haunted - but "not with ghostesses" - he is referring to something like fleas or bed-bugs. Hence the need to strip and search one's bedding before being able to get to sleep.

AAAargh! Jim, Lad! Many years ago, I spent a wee while working on a fishing boat out of Mallaig, and I had to do just that every night. I still bear some scars....
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, if "until yer'd ad every stitch out yer bunk" is the part you can't understand, why is your title "This ole packet is 'aunted"?
    I have been asked to mention in a thread title a part of what I cannot understand so in the case of this thread I used the first words of the paragraph. But if you are trying to lay a finger on the fact one should "strictly" use the sentence one needs to help with in the title, ok. Next time.