Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi,

While reading one of the books by Brian Tracy, I came across an expression "expediecy factor", which has made me puzzled for days.
I've tried in vain to find out what it means. I think I can understand what he is trying to say in the context, but I would like to know
if it has a different meaning from what I understand.

Here is the sentence in the book:
"Perhaps the two biggest enemies of success, happiness and personal fulfillment, are first the Path of Least Resistance and, second, the Expediency Factor."

I seem to know the definitions of each word: "expediency" and "factor". But I don't think I can fully understand what the "factor" means in this context.
Is that kind of personality or attribute that we have?

Thanks in advance.
James

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
A factor is an element in a process that leads to a result. It may be positive or negative. "The high salary that he was offered was one of several factors in his decision to accept the job." It seems to me that the expediency factor is not very different from the path of least resistence. Both signify the easiest or fastest way to achieve something.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A major cause of befuddlement (that is not understanding) is clusters of abstract nouns. Here's a piece I wrote about a string of six. 'Factor' is very commonly used to give an air of authority. (Listeners to Test Match Special will recognize it as Viv Richards's favourite word .)

This writer means that one enemy of success, happiness and personal fulfillment is the need to get something workable in place, regardless of standards. It's a new-age way of dressing up the old saying 'If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well' in fancy vocabulary.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.