Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A friend is the important part of our life. Friends are those persons with whom we don't have any blood relation but there is one relationship and it is a relation of love. A good friend never leave you in your difficult time and always stand by you.They always come when you need someone and he will leave all his important work but they never leave you alone. Difficult time is the best time to realize who is your true friend. Friend is someone with whom you feel comfortable and easily share your thoughts and feelings. A true friend loves you unconditionally and understands you and you also love to accompany them. Actually friend know all about you from small to big things of your life. They know you more than yourself. A good friend always advice you and show you a right path to lead a happy life. A true friend is feeling happy when you are happy and feeling sad when you are sad. A good friend is a best gift of your life. And if you have a good friend that means you are the luckiest person. Friendship is a beautiful relationship of this world.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is good to have friends. It (friendship) is one of the things that makes life worth living.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mamta Choudhury, do you have a question for us? You need to remember to put a space after every full stop.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A friend can be a blood relative. Also, a friend is not necessarily a lover. Certainly, a friend is somebody you feel comfortable talking to. (Notice that I make a space after each period/full stop.)

:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could u please check this paragraph.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A true friend is feeling happy when you are happy and feeling sad when you are sad.

A good friend is someone who shows empathy for you.

(Are these your thoughts, or did you copy them from something?)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you been paying any attention to what I (or anybody else) has been saying to you?

A true friend is somebody who knows you better than you know yourself. (That is something you said, but I rephrased it so it makes more sense in everyday English. (The answer to that, by the way, is: "Really?"))

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/216757-A-Friend

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I haven't mean that, A good friend is someone who shows sympathy for you but a good friend is someone who always with you in your good and bad time.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, I have been paying full attention to your suggestions and I am very thankful to you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't mean that. A good friend is someone who shows sympathy for you, but a good friend is someone who is always with you in your good times and your bad times.

A friend is somebody who listens. A friend is somebody who knows the right thing to say. Or makes you feel better just by being with you. A friend is somebody you can relax with. With such a person you are not afraid to be yourself. There is nothing else just like a true friend.

(There is a reason I say true friend and not good friend. Do you know what it is?)

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
... A good friend always advice you and ...
I was also curious to see if you know the difference between 'advice' and 'advise', and how these words can be used?

@emsr2d2:
Thank you! I'd probably have said 'I am curious whether you know...' in the first place.
If anyone wanted to know what's wrong with '...curios if...' , they can read about it here.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was also curious to see/to find out if you know the difference between 'advice' and 'advise', and how these words can be used.

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A good friend is someone who shows sympathy for you, but a good friend is someone who is always with you good times and bad times.

Do you know why that "but" makes no sense?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Who wants to show me how to post a link (as in post #12)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Barb explained it in another thread but let me try:

Go to the website you wish to create a link to.
Put your cursor in the address bar (where it starts www. or http:// or similar).
Click CTRL and A at the same time so that the whole line turns pink.
Click CTRL and C at the same time (this is "copy").
Go to the post you are writing.
Type the word "here".
Now highlight that word by dragging your cursor along it until it turns pink.
Click on the picture of the globe with what looks like a pair of binoculars in the toolbar.
When the empty box comes up, click CTRL and V at the same time (this is "Paste")
The address that you copied earlier, starting www. or http:// will now appear in that box.
Click OK or Save or whatever the obvious choice is to indicate that you have finished doing the link.
Carry on typing your post.
Click Post Quick Reply or Submit as normal.

(If you're on a PC, these instructions will work. If you're on a Mac, it would be CMD and C, CMD and V etc, instead of CTRL.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a bunch! (I'm on a Mac, but my keyboard says control and not CMD.)

:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How odd. My Mac has a CTRL and a CMD button. They are both to the left of the space bar, separated by the ALT key. Are you on a desktop (iMac) or a laptop (MacBook)?

I just tested it out on my MacBook. CMD+C and CMD+V resulted in copy and paste. CTRL+C resulted in nothing at all.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I followed your instructions, but it didn't work. :-( (I'm using a desktop. If it were my own computer, BTW, I could just copy and paste.) Oh, well. I can keep copying links the way I have been doing it. (Or my friend the moderator can "fix" them for me. ;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.