1. B45

Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow, and let's hang out again soon. VS We

Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow, and let's hang out again soon.

VS

Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow! And let's hang out again soon.

VS

Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow. And let's hang out again soon.

Are all three okay?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow, and let's hang out again soon. VS

The first is a comma splice. Change the comma to a semicolon.

The other two are fine.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Well, have fun wherever you're going tomorrow, and let's hang out again soon. VS

In any case, it's not one of those cases where the punctuation greatly changes the meaning (e.g. eats, shoots and leaves). I personally view punctuation as ancillary with respect to the language, and not a big deal if the meaning is not confused by it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Unless the post was edited, there is a conjunction, so there's no comma splice.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Yes, but the second clause does not follow from the first. The second clause should be a new sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It certainly could/should from a logic point-of-view, but with the conjunction, it's not a comma splice. (Lord knows we see enough true comma splices here.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would find a semi-colon there very strange, especially before the word "and". If the "and" were to be removed, a semi-colon would work (in my opinion).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To deny that it is a comma splice even though the second "sentence" does not follow logically, assumes that an independent sentence cannot start with the word "And". Sorry, but I don't buy that. That prohibition was buried decades ago. If you don't like the semicolon, then use a period/full stop. In either case, it is weird as written.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Mike, I usually agree with you, but on this we are completely opposed. Of course I am fine with sentences starting with "And" or "But" in all but the most formal writing, but calling a sentence with a conjunction a comma splice doesn't make any sense!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I understand. This is a different situation. If one replaces the second sentence with an unrelated sentence not starting with "and", it would be a commas splice. In this case, since "and" can begin a completely independent sentence, I see no difference. We can agree to disagree.