Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does the sentence mean "all over her"?

I quoted a sentence from book for your reference.
"she thought she might be sick; she could smell him all over her."

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not a Teacher.

The man she had sex with a moment before is gone now but still she can smell him. Simply his smell is still in her nostrils though he has gone.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about all over her?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I strongly disagree with the response of Johnnyxxx. There is no reason to presume that sex was involved or has occurred. "All over her" just means overwhelmingly. "I smelled it all over me" means that the smell was powerful and that I had to take strong action to get rid of it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It could be after shave lotion.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'She was standing near a guy stinking of sweat on a bus; she could smell him all over her.'
Is it possible?
Not a teacher.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I strongly disagree with the response of Johnnyxxx. There is no reason to presume that sex was involved or has occurred. "All over her" just means overwhelmingly. "I smelled it all over me" means that the smell was powerful and that I had to take strong action to get rid of it.

Ok :)

The sex was definitely involved, you can find it in the original text. So the thick smell of the man she had sex with a moment before was still in her nostrils.

http://www.oldlibrary.me/fantasticfiction/The_Casual_Vacancy/17744.html

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It could involve no sex if my above sentence was possible.

Not a teacher.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If Polyester had named the title and author of the book he was quoting from in the original post, we could have reached a correct conclusion much sooner.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If Polyester had named the title and author of the book he was quoting from in the original post, we could have reached a correct conclusion much sooner.

I could not agree more; knowing the source helps much. But what seems strange to me is why Polyester "thanked" and "liked" the post in which Probus "strongly disagreed" the sentence Polyester wanted to help with had to be about sex; though the full text speaks volumes what it is all about ... Weird :)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'She was standing near a guy stinking of sweat on a bus; she could smell him all over her.'
Is it possible?
Not a teacher.

No, Matthew. To get the smell of a man "all over you" you need to be touching the person. To be honest, even without the citation, I went to Johnny's interpretation. I didn't know if she'd been raped or what, but it seemed clear to me the man's body had been in close contact with a lot of her body.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some phrases and words simply elicit a very specific response in the majority of native speakers and this is one of them. I also assumed that they had been involved in something very intimate, willingly or otherwise.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, Matthew. To get the smell of a man "all over you" you need to be touching the person. To be honest, even without the citation, I went to Johnny's interpretation. I didn't know if she'd been raped or what, but it seemed clear to me the man's body had been in close contact with a lot of her body.
So, the sentences was related to sex or rape?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I could not agree more; knowing the source helps much. But what seems strange to me is why Polyester "thanked" and "liked" the post in which Probus "strongly disagreed" the sentence Polyester wanted to help with had to be about sex; though the full text speaks volumes what it is all about ... Weird :)

If I were a moderator, I would do something about Johnnyxxx. His intent is clearly not to help our students to learn.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See Johnny's posts, Polyester. He found the story and gave the meaning.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, Matthew. To get the smell of a man "all over you" you need to be touching the person.
On a packed bus or train, the passengers could be touching one another. That involves no sex.

Not a teacher.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your original question, Matthew, said "near" another person, not "pressed up against another person for some time."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On a packed bus or train, the passengers could be touching one another. That involves no sex.

Not a teacher.

No, but as I said, a phrase such as "the smell of him was still all over her" elicits a specific response in most native speakers. Yes, of course if I were pressed up against a very smelly homeless person or something, then the smell would probably still be on my clothes some time later but I would not phrase that to a third party in the same way. I might say "Oh, it was disgusting. I was pressed right up against this gross, smelly guy on a packed bus earlier and I swear I can still smell him. My clothes reek of him". I would not phrase it as "I can still smell him all over me".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It evidently inclines some people to think of that, but not all.

I have come home many nights with the smell of a woman all over me, and there was no sex involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.