Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Other on the way include “The museum of Collectors” and “The Museum of Me.”These new ones, it is hoped, will build on the success of “The Museum Of.” The thinkers behind the project want to explore why people collect, and what it means to do so. They hope that visitors who may not have considered themselves collectors will begin to see they, too, collect.
Some collectors say they started or stopped making collections at important points: the beginning or end of adolescence---”it’s a growing-up thing; you stop when you grow up,” says one. Other painful times are mentioned, such as the end of a relationship. For time and life can seem so uncontrollable that a steady serial arrangement is comforting.

What does the underlined sentence mean in this context? Can any native teacher help to paraphrase it?

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not a Techaer.

Wow, this one seems to be a tough one and I would like to know if I am on the nail in interpreting it. It seems to meam something like:

"One can never say what is in store for one in this unpredictable, sometimes chaotic world of ours, so it is comforting to have a hobby (in this case) of collecting; a hobby with a steady order one could have under control."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't help feeling, Jason, that you have been asked before to always name the source and author of quoted text.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
<<<"One can never say what is in store for one in this unpredictable, sometimes chaotic world of ours, so it is comforting to have a hobby (in this case) of collecting; a hobby with a steady order one could have under control.">>>

Johnny, your sentence is not grammatical. You have separated a noun phrase from the sentence with a semicolon. An em dash would be better. A comma would work, but you already have two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.