[Grammar] There is another reason why/which/for which you don't know.

• Thread starter wotcha22
  • Start date
  • Views : 7,905
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wotcha22

1. There is another reason why you don't know.

2. There is another reason which you don't know.

3. There is another reason for which you don't know.

4. There is another reason why you don't like it.

5. There is another reason which you don't like it.

6. There is another reason for which you don't like it.

Which are grammatical?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where did you find those sentences? Who wrote them? Why are you asking the question?

W

wotcha22

Where did you find those sentences? Who wrote them? Why are you asking the question?

I firstly got the second sentence from my grammar book and I became wondered about the usage of relative adverb and relative pronoun
since I need to teach English grammar to my Korean students, which means I have to be prepared for such awkward and stupid questions from the kids.

Sometimes I feel like having to know all (or oh yes useless) grammar rules (or whatever) -as a teacher.

If this question bothers you, I feel sorry.

2014-12-31_03-21-30_580 (1).jpg

P.S. Refer to question C-4 in the picture. Sorry for the blur.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]firstly[/STRIKE] got the second sentence from my grammar book and I [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]wondered[/STRIKE] started to wonder about the usage of relative adverbs and relative pronouns since I need to teach English grammar to my Korean students, which means I have to be prepared for such awkward and stupid questions from the kids.

Sometimes I feel like [STRIKE]having[/STRIKE] I have to know all (or, oh yes, useless) grammar rules (or whatever) (no dash here) as a teacher.

If this question bothers you, I [STRIKE]feel[/STRIKE] am sorry.

View attachment 2026

P.S. Refer to question C-4 in the picture. Sorry for the blur.

So you found sentence 2 in your grammar book and you wrote all the others yourself. Is that right? As an English teacher, are you fairly certain that the other 5 are correct or do you practise writing ungrammatical sentences on purpose?

W

wotcha22

So you found sentence 2 in your grammar book and you wrote all the others yourself. Is that right? As an English teacher, are you fairly certain that the other 5 are correct or do you practise writing ungrammatical sentences on purpose?

As a non native speaker, I am often confused with English grammar of course, and find some mistakes or errors in grammar books.

When I confront theses problems I refer to my other grammar books, other web sites, or I put the questions on this site to get some more information from native speakers.

I know my questions or posts are absurd often, but I have my way to learn (not acquire) English here in Korea.

P.S.2. And here are some of my curiosity. Hope this will ENLIGHTEN you.

1. There is another reason why you don't know. -> ? In this sentence 'why clause' is imperfect which means object is omitted, so I think relative pronoun 'which' or 'that' is proper rather than 'why'.

2. There is another reason which you don't know. -> o. My grammar book says it's correct. I agree.

3. There is another reason for which you don't know. ->?. Relative adverb 'why' can be replaced by 'for which' - as I know, but not in this case.

4. There is another reason why you don't like it. ->o. I think it is grammatical since why-clause has no omitted sentence parts.

5. There is another reason which you don't like it. -> x. This sentence could be wrong because relative clause should have an omitted sentence part since 'which' has a role in the clause as a noun.

6. There is another reason for which you don't like it. -> o. I've learned and taught relative adverb 'why' in interchangeable with 'for sure'

These are what I think about relative adverb 'why'.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wotcha, your extreme rudeness to emsr2d2 will get you nowhere here. But it might get you tossed off the forum.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you!

If that is how you really feel, why are you coming here? This thread is going nowhere, so I am closing it. Can we try to be civil to each other? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.