What does the expression "Make it count" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello to all!
I've got an idiom in a movie that is "Make it count".
What does it mean?
Please give me an acceptable expression instead of that.
Thanks a lot

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
More context is required.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you referring to Saving Private Ryan? In that case, when Tom Hanks' character tells the Private to "make it count," he is telling him to not waste this second chance he has been given. He wants him to do something meaningful with his life, to not waste it.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Are you referring to Saving Private Ryan? In that case, when Tom Hanks' character tells the Private to "make it count," he is telling him to not waste this second chance he has been given. He wants him to do something meaningful with his life, to not waste it.

"Earn it" (John H. Miller's final speech).[h=1][/h]

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you, Jill Dorchester. your answer really helps me.
you're really awesome!

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Another question!
Is the word "count" certainly a verb in that expression?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, it is a bare infinitive -- an infinitive without "to".

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Obviously it has nothing to do with the title of the thread.

Just a comment to

Are you referring to Saving Private Ryan? In that case, when Tom Hanks' character tells the Private to "make it count,"

I remembered that the final words of Tom Hanks' character were "earn it". But I have found the same expression - make it count - commenting on the scene in other sites and blogs. However, I have watched the scene again and he says exactly "earn it".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me, make it count and earn it represent different bits of advice representing the same general sentiment.

Make it count, in my view, means 'do something meaningful with your life now that it has been saved.'

Earn it, similarly, means 'do something to pay for all the lives lost saving you.'

But they approach the idea -- ensuring the mission was not wasted -- in different ways that are not quite synonymous. In make it count, there is no sense that Ryan's life will start out in great debt, just that he should really cherish his life. In the second, the sense is that he is obliged to make it count, not for aesthetic reasons, but to repay a debt.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks for the comment konungursvia, because that was exactly what I thought to understand. I mean that the reference to “Saving Private Ryan” was just an interpretation of that general sentiment you are talking about. However, it seemed mistaken to me – although referring to the same meaning –, which led me to look for the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-67DFlOsM

In any case, there are many people referring to this same scene with the expression “make it count” all over the Internet.

Perhaps there are two different versions of the movie?

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Obviously it has nothing to do with the title of the thread.
I remembered that the final words of Tom Hanks' character were "earn it". But I have found the same expression - make it count - commenting on the scene in other sites and blogs. However, I have watched the scene again and he says exactly "earn it".

Whether or not the actual quote "make it count" came from the film, the meaning is still the same - take this moment and make it worthwhile. Grammatically speaking, "make it count" doesn't mean "make it go one, two, three" in the literal sense. It's being used as a phrasal verb - "make it count". Make it have value or importance.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Whether or not the actual quote "make it count" came from the film, the meaning is still the same - take this moment and make it worthwhile. Grammatically speaking, "make it count" doesn't mean "make it go one, two, three" in the literal sense. It's being used as a phrasal verb - "make it count". Make it have value or importance.

Yes, I agree. In fact, I have not commented on its meaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.