• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Know to do something

Hi everyone!

I want to ask you about the sentence : "He knows to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".

My Vietnamese friend said that he had never heard about "know to do" and the sentence was wrong. It must be : "He knows how to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".
    However, I looked up the word "know" with Oxford dictionary and I saw know to do something with the example:
    "Does he know to come here (= that he should come here) first?". This makes me wonder whether the sentence can be right with the meaning: " He knows that he should repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".

Please help me find out the error of the sentence and explain the phrase: "know to do something".

Thank you very much. (and please help me check out my errors in this post, thank you a lot).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Know to do something

It depends on context what is right and what is wrong. In your sentence you need to say He knows how to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"Does he know to come here first?" means "Does he know that he must come here first?" It asks whether someone is aware of a fact. Your example about the car talks about someone knowing how to do something. They're not the same.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To elaborate on what has already been said:

Quote Originally Posted by whocanhelpme View Post
    Hi everyone!

I want to ask you about the sentence : "He knows to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".

My Vietnamese friend said that he had never heard about "know to do" and the sentence was wrong. It must be : "He knows how to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".
    However, I looked up the word "know" with Oxford dictionary and I saw know to do something with the example:
    "Does he know to come here (= that he should come here) first?". This makes me wonder whether the sentence can be right with the meaning: " He knows that he should repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart".

The sentence "He knows to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart" means he is aware that that is what should be done. So, yes, in the proper context that is correct English. However, what is more likely is: "He knows how to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart." (I would hope so. )

Remember that context (and what you want to say) makes all the difference.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thank you very much. The sentence is from a set of questions to find out the errors of sentences. And its answer is " knows how to", But from what you 've said (The sentence "He knows to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart" means he is aware that that is what should be done. So, yes, in the proper context that is correct English.) so The answer for this question is wrong and there are no errors in this sentence?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Jan-2015 at 00:42. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To know how to do something is to understand the means of doing it. To know what should be done is to know what is necessary in order to do something. (Of course, a person can know both things.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thank you again. So I will take your answer as the sentence with no errors.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am not sure what you mean by the sentence with no errors, but hopefully you have learned something.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

I mean the sentence "He knows to repair the carburetor without taking the whole car apart" is right so the answer from the set of questions to find out the errors of sentences is not persuasive.
    Last edited by whocanhelpme; 03-Jan-2015 at 23:24.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The problem with questions like that is that you don't know what was in the mind of the question writer.
    I'm 95% sure the writer meant for you to identify it as an error, and was not thinking "He understands the fact that he should repair the carburetor without dismantling the entire car" and was instead thinking "he is aware of the process to repair the carburetor without dismantling the entire car."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast