Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi,
I am a non native English speaker who has been learning English seriously for two years. I am quite happy with my performance but still I am not fluent.I learn a new word everyday, watch movies, speak English with myself everyday. However i get stucked while speaking, I cannot think of specific words at time and also my accent is a bit weird. I need your advice to improve my english. What else can I do.I study everday for 3 hours, Should I increase the time or use any other strategy. I have an inportant interview coming in two months.Please tell me what should I do.And by looking at my post what do you think my level of english is and in which aspect do I have to focus more.
Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What opportunities do you have to practise speaking other than alone?

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Novels, fictions, especially story books can help you to be fluent.
Besides, movies and films can efficiently make you fluent. I myself prefer to watch movies because they helps our speaking, listening and even writing that include English grammar as well.
for example, "Please tell me what should I do" is not grammatically correct! the correct is "Please tell me what I should do".
These are what I have in my mind!
In my opinion, speaking with ourselves can not help us!
If you can find anyone to speak to, you will be more successful.
Anyway, I hope you find its way.

zaghum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Nothing much, I think practicing alone is the method I use.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
~~~ Not a teacher! ~~~ Not a native speaker! ~~~

Hi zaghum,

Welcome to the forum.

I have studied English as a second language for many years and I haven't yet achieved fluency. To be honest, I don't think I will ever be fluent in English. So, maybe, I am not qualified to give you advice, but, maybe, you can learn from my failure.

In retrospect, I think I was too "analytical" during my early years of studying English and it became a habit later that was hard to break. By "analytical," I mean I was constantly checking the correctness of my expressions when I spoke. This affected my fluency negatively.

Also, my focus was entirely on the "word level" while I should have paid my attention on a higher level such as word groups or even sentences. For example, I knew at a very early stage about the rules of applying correct verb forms such as "I am," "you are," "he is" and so on. I was applying the rules every time I spoke. Now I think I should have learned those expressions as word groups rather than individual words. Don't think what the correct form of "be" you should use after a third-person singular subject; just remember to say "he is," "she is," "Mary is," etc. In this way, you won't pause and you won't say terrible things like "he are." Sometimes, ignorance is truly a form of blessing!

Good luck with your study.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nothing much, I think practicing alone is the method I use.

Your member profile shows that you live in Great Britain. You are surrounded by native speakers! Why on earth aren't you getting any practice?

zaghum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Well because I live with non native speaker and also the area where I live (Green street) is an Asian area, you can hardly find any native.Can you guide me what I should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.