Peugeot
Is it Peu'geot, PUke-JOke-t?

Hyundai
Is it Hyun'dai, H-mINE-D-mIne?

Jaguar
Is it 'Jaguar, JAmes-vineGAR?

Citroen
Is it 'Citroen, SYprus-equesTRIAN

I just wonder how most English speaker call these car makes though they are from different countries. Thanks a lot!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I have no idea at all how to pronounce these brands [strike]are called[/strike]:

Peugeot
Is it Peu'geot, PUke-JOke-t?

Hyundai
Is it Hyun'dai, H-mINE-D-mIne?

Jaguar
Is it 'Jaguar, JAmes-vineGAR?

Citroen
Is it 'Citroen, SYprus-equesTRIAN

I just wonder how most English speakers [strike]call[/strike] say/pronounce these car makes, even though they are from different countries. Thanks a lot!

Generally, they are pronounced the same way they are in the country they are from. The two French brands are pronounced:
1) Per-jo (with a soft "j" as in the word "je" in French)
Sit-ruhn or Sit-r'n
Jaguar is pronounced in the same way as the animal: Jag-you-er
Hyundai is pronounced by most people as: Hi-yuhn-die but some people use closer to the Japanese pronunciation of "Hyuhn-die". The difference is in the number of syllables. Those who use the first pronunciation give it three syllables, the second pronunciation has two syllables.

I don't do phonetic symbols. Someone will probably be able to put the pronunciations into symbols for you.

Y

Yourjones

Thank you so much! It could take a while for people to understand me if I pronounced the car makes wrong. It's so helpful to know some of them can be pronounced differently just like the case of Hyundai without much misunderstanding. Thanks again!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Hyundai is Korean, not Japanese, but I doubt that makes any difference to how English speakers pronounce it.

If an English speaker were to pronounce Citroën the same way that it is pronounced in France, everyone would think he didn't know how to say it properly. The diaeresis, or tréma, on the 'e' separates the two vowels so it is closer to /siːtroɛn/. They do, however, say 'Sit-ruhn' in England.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, "Hyundai" is "HUN-day."

"Jaguar" is more like two syllables. Jag-ware, where the second syllable is like the word "are."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oops, sorry about the Japan/Korea mix-up. I'm not up on my cars. I have heard "Hyundai" pronounced with no mention of the "y" but I wasn't aware it was a common pronunciation in AmE.

I had forgotten about the "ë" in Citroën. It is written simply as "Citroen" so often in the UK that I'm totally used to seeing it like that.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, "Hyundai" is "HUN-day."

"Jaguar" is more like two syllables. Jag-ware, where the second syllable is like the word "are."

They manage to stretch it out to three syllables in the UK: JAG-you-are. (Until I learned that it made the lyrics of Nazareth's "Holiday" ever so difficult for me to understand!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.