My best guess is that it means what you suggested: praising your partner's lovemaking.
Student or Learner
Hello, I am translating a questionnaire from English into Czech and I have encountered the sentence "My partner seldom gives me the sexual praise I deserve." I am trying to find the exact meaning of sexual praise - it is not just praising your partner's lovemaking, is it? I haven't found the exact translation in any dictionary, so I am trying to understand it correctly and find some equivalent by myself. Your help will be really appreciated.
- After first hooking you with sexual praise and flattery, psychopaths suddenly become reclusive and uninterested.
- The produced in these sons a precarious and vulnerable masculinity and sense of differentiation by alternating sexual praise and seductive behavior with hostile deflation, ridicule, and intrusive definitions of their sons' intrapsychic situation.
- ... and Paul's statement that the marriage bed should be--and therefore can be--undefiled along with the sexual praise for the male and female beauty in the Song of songs.
- Women, who dance to music regardless of the misogynist message that is lyrically sent, may not have grown up with father figures, which may contribute to their desire to connect with men even if the encounter is based on sexual praise.
- Bold sexual imagery, language of sexual praise such as "hard facts", "penetrating mind", or "hard-core sciences", all of which have shaped the language of modern experimental method, have also sexualized rationality by objectifying nature and the body.
Frankly, I am lost... could it be some lascivious form of compliments? Or physical sexual reaction to otherone's body? Sigh... I would never believe I'd come across texts like this as an evolutionary biologist.
There's no "exact meaning" that's escaping you.
If you praise a chef for his cooking, that could be called "culinary praise". So, if a man walks up to a woman in a bar, and says "Nice t*ts!", that would be a rather crude example of sexual praise.
I think that mating behaviour should be quite relevant to an evolutunary biologist, given that selective mating can have huge effects on populations.
tats = tattoos.
Last edited by emsr2d2; 06-Jan-2015 at 08:50. Reason: Minor typo
Grammatically, sexual praise just means praise pertaining to sex. So, depending on context, it can mean praise based on the sex you belong to, or on what a specimen of that sex you are, or on your skill or performance in sexual acts.
This example is probably not praising the person's lovemaking skills, but would be praising their sexual attractiveness. If it is the first hooking-up, then the person would not know how good the other person was in bed.After first hooking you with sexual praise and flattery, psychopaths suddenly become reclusive and uninterested.
It is ambiguous, but it does allow for another possibility in terms of meaning.
Thanks a lot to you all!
P.S.: "I think that mating behaviour should be quite relevant to an evolutionary biologist" <- mating behavior, yes. But we don't usually ask our cats how much are they satisfied with their sexual partner :)