Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sarah shows off her clothes all the time she is in a party. She just thinks of her appearance. She is so XXXX.
I found it that dandy or coxcomb can be used, but I think they are more for men. What word do you suggest for formal or informal occasions?
Thanks,

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest "shallow".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks, I couldn't find it in my dictionary, is it a slang or something?
Could you find a more formal way in your thesaurus?
Thanks again.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unless the party is taking place sometime during the Victorian era, no one would use the words "coxcomb" or "dandy" to describe a man. :-D

Also, you can't quite compare males and females when it comes to dressing for attention and showing off their clothes. As a rule, women have always been fashion-conscious and prefer to wear their finest frocks at formal parties. Even at informal gatherings, it is common for women to wear clothing and accessories that accentuates their best features and shows them off. So there really isn't a female equivalent for "dandy" (a male who dresses outrageously, or "too" fashionably). As MikeNY said, we might describe her as being "shallow" or "superficial", meaning that she only cares about her appearance and nothing else.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please describe how a woman shows off her clothes. (Depending on how she is dressed, it might be said that she is showing off her body, not her clothes. But it depends.)

:)

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please describe how a woman shows off her clothes. (Depending on how she is dressed, it might be said that she is showing off her body, not her clothes. But it depends.)

:)

Oh, you're such a man! :lol: Just like my husband, you simply don't understand.... A woman is showing off her clothes just by virtue of wearing, say, haute couture. She carries a Coach purse instead of a pleather handbag that she bought on sale at Walmart. She struts very deliberately so that folks notice her Jimmy Choos. She removes her coat with a flourish to make sure that all eyes are on her designer dress. Even in a casual setting, women will accessorize accordingly to best show off their new jeans or blouse or skirt. True, the garment(s) complement her body (that's the goal when dressing), but what she is looking for is approbation of her clothes, her eye for fashion, her overall style sense.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, going by how some of the women here in Charlotte tend to dress, they are definitely showing off, but not their clothes. (But I get it. Thanks.) (I think I am in love with yoga pants. ;-))

:up:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"She's so vain."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a dance. Is that not common knowledge?

With reference to Jill's description of how some women behave at parties, I truly have no idea why anyone would do that. What a vain, shallow attitude to life!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is either a dance or a ligature for strangulation. I can't keep them straight. :lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member