• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Is this an error? If not, pls explain.

When I'm reading a back issue of Time magazine online today, I come across the following paragraph. The last sentence baffles me. I think it might be a cleric error, by which I mean the "beggars belief" part is a cut-and-paste slip that escaped the editor's eyes. I can't make out its meaning. Can anybody help explain it?

"But there’s fuzzy thinking at work even in terms of Garriott’s faith in the estimable Musk. Part of what makes him so enthusiastic is the announcement just this week that Musk’s SpaceX company has completed a third successful test of its Grasshopper craft, a one-piece booster and crew compartment that could take off like a rocket on legs and land the same way. But grasshopper flew only about 240 ft. up (80 m) and didn’t go very fast. The development of this kind of so-called single stage to orbit (SSTO) spacecraft has been the space engineer’s version of the hunt for cold fusion or the perpetual motion machine ever since humans began dreaming of flying in space, and no one’s cracked it yet. That doesn’t mean Musk can’t—he may well. But it does mean that a 240-ft. test is an awfully thin reed on which to hang the hope that the goal is within reach. And Garriott’s statement that ships like grasshopper would need only 10% more fuel than a traditional expendable booster beggars belief."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Is this an error? If not, pls explain.

It's not an error. It means that the statement is hardly credible. Click here.

Please note that a better title would have been beggars belief.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is this an error? If not, pls explain.

Quote Originally Posted by eeshu View Post
    When While I'm I was reading a back issue of Time magazine online today, I come came across the following paragraph. The last sentence baffles (or "baffled") me. I think it might be a cleric typographical error (commonly referred to as a "typo"), by which I mean the "beggars belief" part is a cut-and-paste slip that escaped the editor's eyes. I can't make out its meaning. Can anybody help explain it?

Note that writing everything in the present tense is normally only done in novels in order to give a particular effect.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.