Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"When was the last time you saw him" or "When was the last time you did it". Are these correct? or should first form be used for "saw and did"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"When was the last time you saw him?" [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and "When was the last time you did it​?". Are these correct (no question mark here) or should the first form be used for "saw" and "did"?

Note my corrections to your punctuation above. "Or" was inappropriate. You weren't asking us to choose between those two sentences. You gave two separate examples for our consideration so you should have used "and".

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "first form"? You used "saw" and "did". What alternatives are you suggesting?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe that "first form" is used by some to refer to the base verb form. Second and third forms are past tense and past participle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a term I'm familiar with. Tufguy, are you suggesting that you use "see" and "do" instead of "saw" and "did"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't find the terminology very helpful. However, it conforms to the way verbs are listed in dictionaries: go, went, gone; speak spoke, spoken, etc.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not familiar with the terms "first form" and "other form". But I can assure you that "when was the last time you saw him" and "when was the last time you did it" are perfectly natural. No native speaker could be in any doubt about their meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.