Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello! I would like to hear the opinion of a native speaker on my spoken English.
I don't have many opportunities to practise my conversational skills, there are few native speakers here and my friends are rather reluctant speak in English.
This is a recording that I've sent to a friend with whom I exchange voice messages (unfortunately she lives quite far). When I listen to the recording myself I can tell that there is something wrong, yet I can't quite tell what it is (apart from the "worth to watch" mistake). Any kind of opinion would be extremely valuable for me, even a ruthless kind of criticism would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Here is the link: https://m.soundcloud.com/lbdligkcuoso/001-1

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Blimey! Sorry I'm not native, but that was impressive! "[English] right now it's at the centre of my life, like everything I'm doing is for the sake of learning the language." I've been there, so much so that I used to blurt something out in English halfway a sentence in my first language!

Last edited:

Slothful

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you, you're very kind! I'm quite sure that confusing the two languages is a good sign, it shows how your second language is becoming a part of you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is very good indeed- I like your intonation, which is often a sticking point for learners. I had no idea where you were from. You're looking for the bits that don't quite sound right, so I would point out that some of your sounds are a teensie bit off- you say feeling with a shorter vowel, closer to filling - you'll find that one quite near the start. I think that what you're hearing might be these occasionally coming through what is speech with natural rhythms and intonation. However, I would definitely not lose any sleep over it if I were you.

Slothful

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
That's very encouraging, thank you! For some reason I've always be obsessed with how I sound. I can cope with grammatical mistakes and lack of fluency, yet my confidence is entirely dependent on the quality of my pronunciation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Feel free to be confident then. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.