• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Purpose of word "patronizing"

Hello

I'm having trouble trying to analyze and understand the following sentence I read on an article:

There’s no one more resistant to being empathized with or more prone to call attempts to do so “patronizing” than the bitter lonely guy, especially when women try to do it but even when other nerdy guys try to reach out.

There is something unusual with the grammar of this sentence I can't understand how the words relates to each other.

The first problem is the expression "prone to call attempts to do so “patronizing”". I just can't understand what that actually means. Could any of you rewrite this entire sentence above in a simpler way so I can understand it?

1) What does "call attempts" mean in this sentence? Does it have to do with "telephone call attempts"?
    2) does the expression "to do so" in this context mean "to empathize with"?
    3) I can't understand what the word "patronizing" is refering to on the sentence above. Is it an adjective?
    4) in the expression "when women try to do it", what women try to do? Do they try to empathize with the lonely guy?
    5) in the expressing "guys to reach out", what the guys try to reach out? The lonely guy? Does that mean "empathize with the lonely guy"?

Thank you very much!
    Ricardo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Purpose of word "patronizing"

Bitter lonely guys hate it when people try to empathize with them, more so than almost any other category of people. They often think that those who try to empathize with them are patronizing them, i.e. treating them as social inferiors. This is especially true when those trying to empathize are women, but also when they are "other nerdy guys."

The final phrase "other nerdy guys" shows that the author believes "bitter lonely guys" are always "nerdy guys." He presents no evidence for that, and in my opinion it is untrue. Many nerds are successful and happy, e.g. yours truly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Purpose of word "patronizing"

not a teacher

The first problem is the expression "prone to call attempts to do so "patronizing"". I just can't understand what that actually means. Could any of you rewrite this entire sentence above in a simpler way so I can understand it?
    1) What does "call attempts" mean in this sentence? Does it have to to with "telephone call attempts"?

Just to expand a little on this part of your question.
    Here, "to call" means to refer to, consider or describe something in a particular way.
    "John always does a good job. He's the sort of person I would call trustworthy."

So your quote means: The lonely guy is prone (inclined) to consider attempts to empathize with him as being patronizing.