They have waited/They have been waiting for 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctica1982

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hello!

The English books say that the verbs that have the idea of a long time, can be found in the present perfect continous.

The verb "to wait" has the idea of a long time, so it is correct to say:They have been waiting for 3 hours.

Is it a mistake if we use it in the simple form of the present perfect? They have waited for 3 hours.

Checkmate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "They have been waiting for 3 hours" is okay because it's a continuous situation but I'm not sure with the other one.

I'm not a teacher.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it is not a mistake.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think you can say 'have waited' if they are no longer waiting now, i.e. just stopped waiting.

Not a teacher.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER ******

Hello, Artica:

Have you had a chance to see our beloved teacher Michael Swan's Practical English Usage? *

He gives these two sentences:

1. I've been living in Sue's flat [apartment] for the last month.
2. My parents have lived in Bristol all their lives,

Mr. Swan says that the present perfect progressive is "often prefer[red]" when we talked about temporary actions; the present perfect is "often prefer[red]" when we talk about permanent actions.

Personally speaking, I always tell people that "I have lived here in my city since the 1940s."

Regarding your sentences, I do not know the context. But I do know that this is what I would say to the receptionist in my doctor's office:

(With great respect and gentleness) Excuse me, Miss, but I have been waiting for three hours to see Dr. Wong. Will it be much longer?

The receptionist: Just one more hour.

I will then meekly return to my seat and wait.

James

* The 1995 edition, entry 420.6 on page 426.

P.S. I have made up these sentences:

"The people have been waiting for two hours to buy tickets to that popular movie." [ A temporary situation]
"Darling, I have waited all my life to meet someone like you. Finally, my dream has come true." [He had to wait until he was 60 years old.]

Status
Not open for further replies.