Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Variety of activity was also seen as a way of maintaining or increasing motivation. Several years ago we had one timetable that operated throughout, but we soon found both the students and the teachers lost interest about halfway through the ten weeks. This led us to a major re-think, so finally we brought it into line with the expressed language needs of the students.

Can I change ‘the expressed language needs’ into ‘the language-expressing needs’?
Thanks.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Matthew.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree, Matthew. I take that to mean what the students expressed a desire to learn.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Having a variety of activities was also seen as a way of maintaining or increasing motivation. Several years ago, we had [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] a timetable that [STRIKE]operated throughout[/STRIKE] we adopted widely, but we soon found both the students and the teachers lost interest about halfway through the ten weeks of the course. This led us to a major re-think, so finally we brought it into line with the expressed language needs of the students.

Can I change ‘the expressed language needs’ into ‘the language-expressing needs’?

No, they are different.
expressed language needs - needs that have been written down and formalised, to be met
language-expressing needs - ?

not a teacher

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think there is enough information here to state that the "expressed needs" were written down and formalized.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Ok, expressed is very general term which could mean anything said but not written. I was thinking along the line of legal use eg. expressed condition in a contract. In the context of this passage, it appears to be a matter that was important enough to warrant the management's attention.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it appears that both students and teachers were unhappy with the status quo.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
From experience, I suspect that word 'expressed' is acting as an adjective meaning something synonymous with 'explicit' or 'specific'. If so, the correct form of the word in this phrase should be 'express', not 'expressed'.

Some collocations using 'express' in this way are: an express desire/wish/need

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That could work, but there is nothing wrong with "expressed" used as an adjective.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That website seems to have a primarily legal focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.