Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Dear all, quick question regarding a thesis I am currently working on.

Initially, I wrote this:
''For its ideology to remain sustainable, intentional communities are challenged by...''

My supervisor corrected me by saying that I should write it like this:
''In aiming to sustain their ideology, intentional communities are challenged by...''

Question: are both versions correct English? If so, I prefer my sentence construct over hers. What would you people say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Not a teacher

Your supervisor absolutely correct,you cant use "For its" in the beginning of sentence

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.
Your supervisor is absolutely correct. You can't use "For its" [strike]in[/strike] at the beginning of a sentence.

See my corrections above. In addition, your advice is incorrect. A sentence can start "For its".

keepvogel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you very much indeed emsr2d2! It's highly appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yesterday, I had a problem with the "Edit Post" feature. I was trying to add some information to my post. What I wanted to say was that even though "For its" is an acceptable start to a sentence, the original quoted sentence is incorrect.

The main issue with the original sentence is that it would have to start with "For their ideology ..." in order to agree with "international communities". However, without knowing what the rest of the sentence is, it's impossible to correct it.

Here's how "For its" could be used: "For its owner to be happy, all a pet cat has to do is eat its food, purr loudly and not kill too many mice!"

Status
Not open for further replies.