[Grammar] Third Person Indefinite Reflexive Pronoun vs. Third Person Reflexive Pronouns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

Knowing full well that PERSON is an indefite third personal pronoun, it seems to me (that) if it is going to be replaced by a reflexive pronoun, it should be by another third personal indefinite reflexive pronoun like ONESELF rather than HIMSELF or HERSELF which are not indefinite reflexive pronouns; someone who is an English native speaker advised me to use HIMSEL or HERSELF instead. Furthermore, that same person also told me (that)
if the third indefinite personal pronoun were ONE or SOMEONE, ONESELF must be the one to be used. For example:

a) There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of a person who does not love himself.

b)
There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of a person who does not love herself.

c) There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of someone who does not love oneself.

d) There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of one who does not love oneself.

* She also emphasized me that HIMSELF refers to HERSELF too in the above sentence, if true, HERSELF is supposed to do the same for HIMSELF.

QUESTION:

Are those sentences grammatically correct?

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

There are several issues here, including that of gender neutrality.

'Himself', apart from when referring to a male, used to be the default, all purpose, general term used when the gender of the person was unknown or irrelevant. For many people this is no longer acceptable, and the choice is then either, 'himself or herself' or using a plural genderless pronoun. This, of course, causes problems of agreement which are either ignored, or avoided by turning the subject into a plural too. e.g. 'There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of people who don't love themselves.'

As for your sentences, I would probably use a) because I haven't lived in an English speaking country since this became a problem, so anything else seems unnatural.
I would not say b).
c) is wrong.
I don't like d).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your initial hypothesis is incorrect. The word "person" is a noun, not an indefinite pronoun.

I agree with Roman that casting the sentence in the plural is the best way to avoid the problems.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you Rover_KE for your correction.

PERSON is a noun, what makes it indefinite is the article. Moreover, I myself consider it is ungrammatical to use HIMSELF for referring to both genders. If HIMSELF works, HERSELF is supposed to work also.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you for replying Roman55

1) What is wrong with sentence (c) and why you don't like (d)?

2) May not the indefinite reflexive pronoun ONESELF be used as the reflexive pronoun for the indefinite pronoun SOMEONE?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
C is incorrect because "oneself" can only be used as the reflexive pronoun for "one". D does that. I have no idea why Roman does not like D.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
May I use the reflexive pronoun THEMSELF as a neutral gender in sentence (c)?

c)
There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of someone who does not love themself.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The use of 'one' to mean people in general is fine.

The use of 'oneself' as the object when 'one' is the subject is fine too. 'Lies that one tells oneself'.

In d), 'one' isn't the subject, and I find the sentence jarring, which is why I don't like it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yet, the reflexive pronoun "oneself" is used correctly.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the 1800s, after centuries of using "they/them/their/etc." as a gender-neutral, 3rd-person singular pronoun, it was decreed that "he/him/his" was to be used instead. This was ignored by many writers, and yet somehow, in the 20th century, it became "correct" to use "he" to refer to men or women, and "incorrect" to use "they" - despite centuries of use. We are now coming back to realizing that the logic of using "he" to refer to men or women is no more logical than using "they" to refer to one person.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
NOT A TEACHER

May I use the reflexive pronoun THEMSELF as a neutral gender in sentence (c)?

c)
There isn't enough love capable of filling the emptiness of someone who does not love themself.

I'd say - go for it! Themself appears to be 'more' gender-free than himself or himself/herself, or even himself or herself.
You want to know that themself was 'alive and kicking' in the past and regarded as standard English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with engee. I use 'themself' myself, though many consider it wrong.

The standard reflexive form corresponding to they and them is themselves, as in they can do it themselves. The singular form themself, first recorded in the 14th century, has re-emerged in recent years corresponding to the singular gender-neutral use of they, as in this is the first step in helping someone to help themself. The form is not widely accepted in standard English, however.
(Oxford Dictionaries)

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Roman55; MikeNewYork;Barb_D

May THEMSELF be used as a neutral reflexive pronoun referring to HIMSEL and HERSELF?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what you mean. We do not use reflexive pronuns to refer to other reflexive pronouns.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe "themself" versus "themselves" - see the post from Rover and make your decision based on that.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Roman55, Rover_KE, MikeNewYork, Barb_D, engee30, teachers and members.

Since I have never seen the reflexive pronoun THEMSELF as a neutral gender for HIMSELF and HERSEL. I would like to know if this may be used in the above sentences.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you Rover_KE

No further questions.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Reading on a member comment in a forum about English into Spanish and vice versa translation and interpreting, I took the following excerpt from it:

«I added something about Imagine a person coming in and passing themselves off as an attorney or a doctor and doing that job.».

Should she used THEMSELF or HIMSELF rather than THEMSELVES?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It would be common to use "themself". Because it is a singular "themselves" is not correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree. It's (once again) correct to use "they" or "them" or "their" for third-person singular when the gender is not known. "Themselves" is a logical extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.