The meaning of "Damned if it didn't work..." in the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.
Could you please explain the meaning of the underlined expression according to its context?
The full text is about an autonomous car. This is the address if you need to read more.
Thanks in advance.

3. Audi’s engineers hadn't tried this before, but Lipinski had enough confidence in the tech to let me be the first to test it. Damned if it didn't work at the next light, bringing the car to a safe stop two car lengths behind the guy in front of us. “We didn't know it would do that!” Lipinski said with some excitement.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

It's a way of saying that it did work at the next (traffic) light, and of showing enthusiastic surprise. The writer could have begun the sentence with "I'll be damned…"

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ali Hsn:

I just thought that you would like to know that even in 2015, some people here in the United States still find the word "damn" to be unacceptable in polite society.

If you come to the States, it would a good idea NOT to use that word. Some people might have changed that sentence to: "Darn if it didn't work at the next light."

James

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the unacceptability of "damn" in AmE disappeared many years ago for most people. Children will still be corrected, however.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's a way of saying that it did work
Is it because 'if it didn't work' is the second conditional referring to an untrue situation?

Not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not a teacher.

It's a way of saying that it did work at the next (traffic) light, and of showing enthusiastic surprise. The writer could have begun the sentence with "I'll be damned…"

Is it because 'if it didn't work' is the second conditional referring to an untrue situation?

Not a teacher.

I think you‘re attaching too much importance to the ‘if‘. The full meaning of the comditional is something like this:
If I were to say it didn‘t work, my soul wouild be consigned to Hell [as a punishment for lying].

But nobody would think anything of the sort. I think Roman‘s explanation was fine. Although it happens that the word ‘if‘ is there, in the context of this idiomatic usage there is no sense of conditionality.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.