Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I wish to post one mathematic puzzle.In the end please correct if any mistakes in the sentence grammatically..

A bird sitting on the tree.Some birds(X) flying over the sky. A bird on the tree asking to flying birds(X),'Hi flying 100 birds', where are you going?,Shall i come with you? Flying birds(X) replied to bird on tree ' We are not 100 birds,ourselves plus one more time of ourselves plus half of us plus quarter of us plus yourself will be hundred'

The puzzle question is How many birds are flying over the sky?

Thanks
Kumar

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word you are looking for is 'puzzle'.

It's too convoluted for me and I need much more time to correct all the mistakes.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The answer is 36.

I don't even know where to begin to correct it, though.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Congratulations.Answer is correct

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wish to post [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] a mathematic puzzle. [STRIKE]In the end [/STRIKE] Please correct [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] any grammatical mistakes. [STRIKE]in the sentencegrammatically..[/STRIKE]

A bird sitting on the tree.
A bird is sitting in a tree.

Some birds(X) flying over the sky.
Some other birds are flying in the sky.

A bird on the tree asking to flying birds(X),'Hi flying 100 birds', where are you going?,Shall i come with you?
The bird in the tree says to the flying birds "Hi, 100 flying birds. Where are you going? Can I come with you?"

Flying birds(X) replied to bird on tree ' We are not 100 birds,ourselves plus one more time of ourselves plus half of us plus quarter of us plus yourself will be hundred'
The flying birds reply to the bird in the tree "We are not 100 birds. The total number of us, multiplied by two, plus half of us, plus a quarter of us, plus yourself, would make one hundred."

The puzzle question is "How many birds are flying [STRIKE]over[/STRIKE] in the sky?"

[STRIKE]Thanks[/STRIKE] Unnecessary
[STRIKE]Kumar[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

See above for corrections.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
much more time...Is it correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are referring to Rover's use of "much more time" in post #2, then yes, it's correct. You can see from his member profile that he is a native speaker, a teacher and a moderator. Why did you think "much more time" was wrong?

Have you looked at the corrections I made in post #5?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
X + X + 0.5 X + 0.25 X + 1 = 100
2.75 X = 99
X = 99/2.75 = 36

Simple algebra.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I just remembering,one of my English class teacher informed not to use 'much more' adjacently in the sentence.Noted with thanks for your correction.You are excellent.I need your contineous support in the forum,Pl also review any mistakes in this reply also..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just [STRIKE]remembering[/STRIKE] remembered that one of my English class teachers [STRIKE]informed[/STRIKE] told/advised me not to use 'much more' adjacently in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a sentence. [STRIKE]Noted with[/STRIKE] Thanks for your corrections - I have noted them. You are excellent. I need your [STRIKE]contineous[/STRIKE] continued support in the forum. Please also review any mistakes in this reply. [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE]

See above. Remember to follow these rules of written English at all times (especially the last one):

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.