Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hello!

The books say that the present perfect continous is also used for recent actions. The signal words are: this day, all day, this week...

An example would be: I have been working this week.

Does the meaning change if I use the simple form of the present perfect ?

I have worked this week.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no need for the present perfect in that sentence but it's not ungrammatical.

I worked this week.
I worked [for] 40 hours this week.
I have worked this week.
I have worked [for] 40 hours this week.

I don't know how it works in AmE, but if you said "I worked 40 hours this week" on a Saturday, it would refer to the five days leading up to Saturday (Monday to Friday). Some people refer to that as "last week".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It works the same in AmE.

Arctica1982

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hello! I see.

I am just trying to understand what the English books are trying to teach us.
This is a small summary of my knowledge about the present perfect continous, I think this will make it easier for you to help and identify what I haven't understood yet.

1. Present perfect continous can be used with "for" and "since". It means the action started in the past and continues to the present.

I have been waiting for 3 hours. I have been waiting since 2.30.

2. It can be used without "for" and "since", in case we see the result of the action now.

He is hot beacuse he has been running.

3. It can be used for the actions that happened recently.

A question such as "Have you been smoking?" can suggest that you smell the smoke on the person. Using this tense in a question suggests you can see, smell, hear or feel the results of the action. It is possible to insult someone by using this tense incorrectly.

3.a I can't understand the usage below:

In the book I am learning from (this is not homework) there is an exercise:

The task:

Read the XYZ diary. Work with a partner. One of you is XYZ. It's Friday evening and you have phoned your friend for a chat.
Ask: What have you been doing?

The XYZ' diary:

Monday: Had lunch with Barbara. She didn't get the job. Worked late.
Tuesday: Work is crazy at the moment, no lunch .Went for a drink with Fiona. Brother rang, we argued.
Wednesday: I got the payrise I wanted. Bad news - I had to work until 8 o'clock again.

As far as I understand I have to ask questions like: What have you been doing? this would mean recently.

Recently means 1 day,2 days,1 week ago...?.
What is the time limit in the past for recently ?
When using "this week" can we use present perfect continous?

Ems in the post number 2 suggested that we can use past simple or present perfect simple (it's not ungrammatical).

Is it a mistake if we use the continous form of the present perfect with "this week" What have you been doing this week?

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Your understanding, as outlined in points 1, 2, and 3, is correct.

As for the task, I would say this. If the premise is that you phone your friend for a chat, I would infer that you are in regular contact. In the course of a conversation, 'What have you been doing?' would mean 'What have you been doing since the last time we spoke?'

You could, of course, also say 'What have you done today?' or, 'What did you do yesterday?'

Arctica1982

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
I am not a teacher.

Your understanding, as outlined in points 1, 2, and 3, is correct.

As for the task, I would say this. If the premise is that you phone your friend for a chat, I would infer that you are in regular contact. In the course of a conversation, 'What have you been doing?' would mean 'What have you been doing since the last time we spoke?'

You could, of course, also say 'What have you done today?' or, 'What did you do yesterday?'

I understand.

1. If reffering to the exercise about the diary: What would be the answers to the question: What have you been doing?
I have been having lunch, I have been working late, I have been arguing.....?
2. In case the last meeting or conversation was last week, then we can ask: What have you been doing this week?
3. Is there a difference between : I have worked today / I have been working today?

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

1. The question, 'What have you been doing?' if covering a period of several days means, 'What have you been doing with yourself?' or, 'What have you been up to?' We would tend to say something like, 'Oh, you know, this and that, nothing special. Apart from work I did go to the cinema the other day…'

2. Yes.

3. 'I have been working (today)' would be the natural answer to the question, 'What have you been doing today?'
'I have worked today' just doesn't sound right, and would only be natural as an answer to a different question, such as, 'What have you done today?'
It is grammatically correct, but unnatural IMO.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
There is no need for the present perfect in that sentence but it's not ungrammatical.

I worked this week.
I worked [for] 40 hours this week.
I have worked this week.
I have worked [for] 40 hours this week.

I don't know how it works in AmE, but if you said "I worked 40 hours this week" on a Saturday, it would refer to the five days leading up to Saturday (Monday to Friday). Some people refer to that as "last week".

Hello,

In my opinion, the present perfect tense is one of the most confusing aspect of the English Language for the learners. And with your answer I' m confused again.

To my knowledge, if the week is not over I should say " I have worked this week" and if it is over then I should say "I worked last week".

Answers from all the teachers are welcomed and thanks for the answers in advance.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Recently means 1 day,2 days,1 week ago...?.
What is the time limit in the past for recently ?

Probably that's where your uncertainty comes from, if I may. "Recently" means "recently" likewise "two days ago" would mean "two days ago". It may sound a bit subjective but to a greater extent, the tense form depends on how the speaker sees a certain time period rather than how this time period can be physically measured.

Arctica1982

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
I only agree with Roman's answers. They are clear and correct.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "recently" doesn't express a specific time but rather a frame of mind. If I say "I haven't heard from Esgaleth recently I might have heard from her yesterday, but maybe I was hoping to hear from her sooner (today).

Does that help?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.