Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I always have a tough time with a particular kind of sentence.When i registered in this forum,in my profile page in the subtitle Recent visitors it was written
'The page has had 0 visitors'.What does this mean?Has had together?What's the meaning of this?How can i make this type of sentence?
Regards.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea what you are asking. What type of sentence are you asking about?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have had a car since i was seven.This page has had 0 visitors.
This type of sentence when has and had or have and had comes together.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both of your sentences are present perfect. They are both correct. Don't confuse "had". In this case "had" is the main verb.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But how we make such sentences?When we say such sentence?Please explain.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Does it mean we replace been having with had?I mean as per conventional way we would have said
This page has been having 0 visitors.But we are saying this page has had 0 visitors .So,we replaced been having with had,right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"This page has been having 0 visitors."
This is not natural in most varieties of English. (I am aware that it would be fairly common in Indian (South Asian) English.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Cindrella:

Most books tell us that the present perfect (have / has + past participle) is used when we want to refer to something that started in the past and still touches the present.

Let's say that I became a member in November, 2014. Let's say that you went to my profile in January, 2015. Let's say that you were the first person to go to my profile. So you would see a notice that said: "This page has had 0 visitors." After you leave, then the notice will change to: "This page has had 1 visitor [you!]." Then if another person goes to my profile, the notice will change to: "This page has had," well, you can finish that sentence.

A very nice member named Cindrella has started a thread entitled "A particular kind of sentence." So far (up to the time of my typing), Cindrella's thread has had 178 views. And soon it will have more.

Let's say that we are in an ice cream parlor now. We walked in at 10 a.m. I ordered one cream cone. I ate it and ordered another ice cream cone. I ate it and ordered another ice cream cone.
Let's say that it is now 10:30 a.m. and that I want to order another ice cream cone. You would probably say, "James, stop it! You have already had 3 ice cream cones. That is enough for today!"

James

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'This page has been having ten visitors.'
Does it mean that ten people have been reading this page for a period of time?

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not a natural sentence. If it were to be followed by a description of a period of time, it could work.

"This page has been having ten visitors a day for over three years."

Having said that, it's still not the most natural version. I would say "This page has had ten visitors a day for over three years".

Status
Not open for further replies.