• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question group lessons vs 1 to 1

Hi,
    I'm new here and new to teaching English. I have done a TEFL course and have done some lessons with groups of kids, but that was only once a week for a couple of months. I have done casual teaching more long term but again with classes rather than an individual. I've just been offered a job tutoring someone 1 on 1 and was wondering if any of you have advice on this? I was going to start by just chatting with her to ascertain her approximate ability, but I'm not really sure what to do after that? I tried making lesson plans, but I imagine teaching an individual is different than teaching a group? Do any of you have any advice? I would be so grateful

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: group lessons vs 1 to 1

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I was honestly trying to come up with some advice but then I understood it would be writing a book on teaching 1-2-1 Could you probably be a bit more specific?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Post Re: group lessons vs 1 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by miriam16 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new here and new to teaching English. I have done a TEFL course and have done some lessons with groups of kids, but that was only once a week for a couple of months. I have done casual teaching more long term but again with classes rather than an individual. I've just been offered a job tutoring someone 1 on 1 and was wondering if any of you have advice on this? I was going to start by just chatting with her to ascertain her approximate ability, but I'm not really sure what to do after that? I tried making lesson plans, but I imagine teaching an individual is different than teaching a group? Do any of you have any advice? I would be so grateful
    I've been teaching one on one full time for 4 years, in fact I own an English language school in Osaka, Japan.
    Our lessons are 40 minutes, I start with a warm up - asking questions: what's new? what do you do? etc.
    Then I go onto a text book for the main part of the lesson - pick one for an appropriate level.
    At the end I do a cool down and review any new words that we taught.
    Through out the lesson remember to actively correct the student and try and keep your talking time to a minimum - try and let them talk as much as possible. GL