1. B45

I'm asking my friend to be my unborn children's godmother. I explain to her: So If

I'm asking my friend to be my unborn children's godmother. I explain to her:

So If I die, you will have to take care of my children.

VS

So if I died you would have to take care of my children.

What's the difference here? Is there any?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I'm asking my friend to be my unborn children's godmother. I explain to her: So

The difference is only in likelihood. You will certainly die one day so a simple "If I die" doesn't make sense.

If I die while my children are still under 18 (or whatever the age of majority is where you are), you will have to take care of them.
    If I were to die while my children are still under 18, you would have to take care of them.

Both of your sentences are grammatically possible (although you need a comma after "died" in the second).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: I'm asking my friend to be my unborn children's godmother. I explain to her: So

You certainly invent some imaginative scenarios, Batman.

I know nothing about your culture, but over here, godparents are not expected to assume that responsibilty.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In many cases, they would not even be allowed to do so. Actual blood relatives would be more likely. But at the very least, there is no legal requirement for godparents to do so.

4. B45

What if they have no blood relatives alive?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    What if they have no living blood relatives?
    Certainly it is possible for the person to promise that they will take on that responsibility if the natural parents should die while the children are still young.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

At least here, there is still no legal obligation. The godparent status is mostly a ceremonial accommodation, not an obligation.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 25-Jan-2015 at 13:09. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

As far as I know, there is no legal obligation in the UK either. Most people don't even have godparents. Godparents are usually only chosen by parents who are going to have their baby christened/baptised but many people don't do that any more. It is possible to have one without the other. A christening ceremony can take place without the presence of godparents. Parents can ask friends to be godparents even if they have no intention of having their child christened. Once upon a time, godparents were supposed to be responsible for the child's in religious (Biblical) and moral upbringing (in addition to the child attending church).

If a child's parents die while the child is still a minor, it would still be for the courts and Social Services to decide who is best placed to continue to bring up that child. The godparents don't get special consideration.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.