Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Hey English community! I have tried to write a short paragraph of text and I am just curious to know if I have good grammar in it. I have read it twice trough and I can't spot any errors. Can you, thanks!

The text:
The internet is growing. You are most likely using the internet as a tool to read this text. Nowadays almost everyone is using the internet and a lot of services have been moved online. For instance you can access your bank account, do shopping and send emails online. All the time even more and more essential services are - and will be - transferred to the internet. No one can stop this. Well, why should it be done?
----- The internet has an enormous amount of positive opportunities. It gives its users an access to a practically unlimited database of information. You don’t have to browse a plenty of books in order to find a result of a scientific study, for instance. Nowadays you just need a few keywords and a press of a button. There are a few reasons why the internet is so engaging. One of the biggest reasons must be the fact that humans are social mammals. We love to interact and the internet provides resources for it. You can send messages for free and there isn't any delay. This is called instant messaging. Ordinary letters aren't suitable for our current society anymore because the message doesn't go to its destination instantly. Even phone calls and text messages are already antique because you can send messages quicker via a variety of chat applications. The lack of delay is trendy these days and everything is getting speedier. These social services are also popular because people like to read everyday stories of other people, studies show. Using social media sites is compelling and it’s difficult to say why people love to use the social media.
----- People often establish different habits. When you start using a social service, such as Facebook, you create a habit that the site has to be checked regularly. After a while this habit can transform into an addiction which can lead to a variety of issues. For instance, your real world social skills can get worse.
----- The new way how people can find new friends these days is phenomenal but just to remind you there isn't any visible correlation between online time and the amount of friends. This means, you won’t have more friends just by using the social media but it increases your opportunities to get a new friend.
----- My conclusion is that the internet is a great tool to find and share information, communicate and just to kill time. You should neither forget those dozens of cat videos which you can find online. Without the internet our world wouldn't be as it is today.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Social Media

Hey English community! I wrote a short essay, and I am just curious to know if I made any grammar mistakes. I read it twice, and I didn't spot any errors. Could you find the errors for me?

You obviously didn't look hard enough.
;-)

banana_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Re: Social Media

You obviously didn't look hard enough.
;-)

Haha, I wrote that short introduction quickly and I didn't really pay attention on my grammar. However, does that mean the text below is good enough (for a non-native speaker)? ;)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Social Media

Haha, I wrote that short introduction quickly and I didn't really pay attention to my grammar. However, does that mean the text below is good enough (for a non-native speaker)? ;)

I was going to get to that soon.
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Internet

The internet is growing. You are most likely using the internet as a tool to read this text. Nowadays almost everyone is using the internet, and a lot of services have been moved online. For instance you can access your bank account, do shopping and send emails online. All the time even more and more essential services are - and will be - transferred to the internet. No one can stop this. Well, why should it be done?

It is a misstatement to say that those services are being transferred to the Internet. With the exception of email, you can still do those things the regular way, but you can also do them online. (Why would you want to stop it?)

The internet has an enormous amount of positive opportunities.

Perhaps:

The Internet has changed the way we communicate with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The internet is growing. You are most likely using the internet as a tool to read this text. Nowadays almost everyone is using the internet and a lot of services have been moved online. For instance you can access your bank account, do shopping and send emails online. All the time even more and more essential services are - and will be - transferred to the internet. No one can stop this.

It is a misstatement to say that those services have been or will be transferred to the Internet. You can still do your banking or shopping the regular way, but can also do those things online. (Why would anybody want to stop it?)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Internet

The internet has an enormous amount of positive opportunities.

Perhaps:

The Internet makes it possible for people to communicate with each other when otherwise they would not be able to.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Internet

It gives its users [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] access to a practically unlimited database of information. You dont have to go to the library to find a result of a scientific study, for instance. Nowadays you just need a few keywords and a press of a button to find something. There are a few reasons why the internet is so engaging. One of the biggest reasons is that humans are social animals. We love to interact, and the internet provides resources for it. You can send messages for free and there isn't any delay. This is called instant messaging. Ordinary letters aren't suitable for our current society anymore because the message doesn't go to its destination instantly. Even phone calls and text messages are already antique because you can send messages quicker via a variety of chat applications. The lack of delay is trendy these days and everything is getting speedier. These social services are also popular because people like to read everyday stories of other people, studies show. Using social media sites is compelling and it’s difficult to say why people love to use the social media.

Is speed of communication trendy? Is it really hard to say why people like to use social media?

banana_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Re: The Internet

Haha, I am really thankful for your advice ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: The Internet

Haha, I am really thankful for your advice. [strike];)[/strike]

Please don't try to make your own emoticons and use them instead of a closing punctuation mark. If you want to add an emoticon after the final punctuation mark, click on :) and choose the appropriate one.

I'm not sure why your post started "Ha ha". I couldn't see anything funny in Tarheel's responses.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Instead of the social media, just say social media.

----- People often establish different habits. When you start using a social media site, such as Facebook, you create a habit of checking the site regularly. After a while this habit can transform into an addiction which can lead to a variety of issues. For instance, your real world social skills can deteriorate.

The first sentence is perfectly grammatical, but I don't know what to do with it. For one thing, I don't know what you mean by that. (It's true that people sometimes change their habits, but that's not what you said.)

The new way that people make friends these days is phenomenal, but just to remind you there isn't any visible correlation between the amount of time a person spends online and the number of friends a person has. This means, you won’t have more friends just by using the social media but it increases your opportunities to make a new friend.

----- My conclusion is that the internet is a great tool to find and share information, communicate and just to kill time. (Mostly that last one. ;-)) And don't forget the dozens of cat videos which you can find online. Without the Internet our world wouldn't be as it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.