1. Arcadia

Meaning of build-out

Hi, I am Gabriela from Argentina and I need to know the meaning of phrasal verb build- out and what do these phrases mean:
    1) Pulling a megabluff
    2) To protect the livelihoods of family-owned mom-and-pop stores.
    3) Whether its lobbying the European goverments for uniform emissions standards, pinpointing acquisitions to build a financial- information provider business...
    I need to understand this things because of a subject called Administracin Gerencial of wich I have to pass an exam this week.
    I hope your answer as soon as possible. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Meaning of build-out

2) To protect the livelihoods of family-owned mom-and-pop stores.

A mom-and-pop store is a small business that is owned by an individual or a family, as opposed to being owned by a large corporation. For example, Wal-Mart is a large chain store, owned by a huge corporation. Stores like Wal-Mart are able to sell their goods at lower prices than a local mom-and-pop store. In many areas, large corporate-owned stores are putting family-owned stores out of business, because they simply can't compete. "To protect their livlihoods" means to help to keep them in business.

Re: Meaning of build-out

Hi Ga
    1) Pulling a megabluff = means to say something that is not true and also to keep up the pretence of the untruth in situations where you are very sure that the listener belives what you have said

2) To protect the livelihoods of family-owned mom-and-pop stores.= means in British English a small family business (we do not use the term "mom Pop"

3) Whether its lobbying the European goverments for uniform emissions standards = to keep on protesting to the EU

pinpointing acquisitions to build a financial- information provider business... = to highlight certain companies which could be bought or used to expand a business which will supply financial information
    hope this helps
    regards