• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

to impose higher

It would prevent parents from being frustrated in spending more money on schooling by both the present need for conformity in how the money is spent and by the understandable reluctance on the part of persons not currently having children in school, and especially those who will not in the future have them in school, to impose higher taxes on themselves for purposes often far removed from education as they understand the term.
    (Capitalism and Freedom; Milton Friedman)

Would you be so kind as to tell me which part of the sentence the part starting with 'to' should be connected to?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to impose higher

Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    It would prevent parents from being frustrated in spending more money on schooling, by both the present need for conformity in how the money is spent​, and by the understandable reluctance on the part of persons not currently having children in school (and especially those who will not in the future have them in school) to impose higher taxes on themselves for purposes often far removed from education as they understand the term.
    (Capitalism and Freedom; Milton Friedman)

Would you be so kind as to tell me which part of the sentence the part starting with 'to' should be connected to?

Thanks.

I see what you mean. It's a very long and badly constructed sentence. Having read it through a few times, I think it's connected to "the understandable reluctance". I have attempted above to change the punctuation to make things clearer, but the passage would be much easier to understand if it had been split up into shorter sentences.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....