Does this short paragraph makes sense at all? I look in the mirror and see my flaws,

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Does this short paragraph makes sense at all?

I look in the mirror and see my flaws, while others look in the mirror and play God. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thy(me). I live in a society where freedom and choice are what lies in the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me slave of your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being lead to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves, what have you done for the human existence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does this short paragraph [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] make sense at all?

I look in the mirror and see my flaws, while others look in the mirror and play God. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thy(me). (I don't get this. Thyme is a herb.) I live in a society where freedom and choice are what [STRIKE]lies[/STRIKE] lie [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me a slave [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being [STRIKE]lead[/STRIKE] led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves, what have you done for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] human existence.

Note my changes above, in red. I can't say it "makes sense" to me but that's because I just don't really understand what you're getting at. On that basis, I have only changed the grammatical/spelling errors. I don't get the "thy(me)" part at all.

B

B45

but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thy. - Doesn't thy alsomean me?

What I'm trying to say is that we are all human and have flaws so instead of judging one another about our choices in life why not start with ourselves and make the world a better place.

I look in the mirror and see my faults, while others look in the mirror and play God. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thy (me?).(I don't get this. Thyme is a herb.) I live in a society where freedom and choice are what
lie at the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me a slave to your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves, what have you done for human existence.

You are true. I am sick. Judge me more, hypocrites. I'm still here loving and laughing each and every moment of my life. Howbeit, I have changed and will continue to grow to become a better man.

I've added the underlined part. Please take a look at it. Thanks!

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
...judgements are upon thee.(the old 3rd pronoun for 'you').

not a teacher

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my changes above, in red. I can't say it "makes sense" to me but that's because I just don't really understand what you're getting at. On that basis, I have only changed the grammatical/spelling errors. I don't get the "thy(me)" part at all.

Hello, teacher
I have a question that I don't understand.
Please look at below sentence which I quoted from the top at this topic.
Does this short paragraph makes sense at all?

at all = nothing
In this sentence, If I omit at all, it's make sense for me.
But,If I keep the at all at this sentence, the sentence doesn't mean make sense.

Please explain to me, thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that use, "at all" means "in any way".

B

B45

How does the whole paragraph look to you MikeNewYork? Do you understand it and know the message I'm trying to convey?

I look in the mirror and see my faults, while others look in the mirror and play God. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thee (me?).(I don't get this. Thyme is a herb.) I live in a society where freedom and choice are what lie at the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me a slave to your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves, what have you done for human existence. You are true. I am sick. Judge me more, hypocrites. I'm still here loving and laughing each and every moment of my life. Howbeit, I have changed and will continue to grow to become a better man.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you are referring to yourself "thee" is wrong. It should be "me". What is the reference to Thyme about?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I finally worked out that there was a space missing. The OP meant, I think, to write:

... his judgements are upon thy (me?).

B

B45

How does the whole paragraph sound to y'all? Do you understand it and know the message I'm trying to convey?

I look in the mirror and see my faults, while others look in the mirror and play God. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon thy (me?).(I don't get this. Thyme is a herb.) I live in a society where freedom and choice are what lie at the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me a slave to your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves, what have you done for human existence. You are true. I am sick. Judge me more, hypocrites. I'm still here loving and laughing each and every moment of my life. Howbeit, I have changed and will continue to grow to become a better man.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Batman, I find the paragraph to be confusing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have made a couple of corrections/suggestions.

I look in the mirror and see my faults, while others look in the mirror and see a god. I haven’t followed a faith for decades, but the God I know is there, and his judgments are upon me. I live in a society where freedom and choice are what lie at the foundation of its constitution. Don’t make me a slave to your single belief while you carry your red flags trying to fix a broken system that can never be fixed. You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves what have you have done for humanity.

I deleted the last couple of sentences because of the weirdness factor.
:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think Tarheel did a nice job removing most of the confusion.

B

B45

Thank you very much Tarheel!

Can this be a standalone paragraph then:

You are true. I am sick. Judge me more, hypocrites. I'm still here loving and laughing each and every moment of my life. Howbeit, I have changed and will continue to grow to become a better man.

B

B45

You don’t understand how the head got there but only watch its manifestation like blindfolded pawns being led to a battle that can’t be won because it’s against yourselves. Our stands may differ and it may forever be so, but as nature takes us away from here, ask yourselves what have you have done for humanity.

The bold doesn't look right.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not correct. It is phrased as a question without being a question. Change "what have you done" to "what you have done".

B

B45

What about this sentence:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Mostly nonsense.

B

B45

Hahahaha. Thanks for breaking my spirit... Those are my true feelings and how I really feel about life sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.