Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello Everyone!

My teacher asks me to research about "Inanimate Object" used as a Subject in a sentence. I don't really have any idea about this. I would be very glad if someone can help me on this grammar. I want sample sentences and explanation. I'm looking forward to learning this grammar from you. Many thanks!

Juls

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm fairly sure that your teacher, when he/she said "Go and research XXX", didn't mean "Go onto a forum and ask the people there to give you the answers". That's not research and you will learn nothing if you don't do the work yourself.

davidjuls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I think 'research' is gathering different pieces of information from different sources. Am I right?

So when I posted my question here, I was hopeful that I could get something aside from my other sources.
By the way, I joined this forum hoping that this site would be much friendlier, much more educational and helpful. It sounds like not. :(

Last edited:
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think 'research' is gathering different pieces of information from different sources. Am I right?

So when I posted my question here, I was hopeful that I could get something aside from my other sources.
By the way, I joined this forum hoping that this site would be much friendlier and much more educational. It sounds like not. :(

Well, there's an example of a sentence with an inanimate object as the subject: "The English as a Second Language Forum is not a very friendly place."

(I don't agree with that statement, of course.) :-o

Boris Richard

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello Everyone!

My teacher asks me to research about "Inanimate Object" used as a Subject in a sentence. I don't really have any idea about this. I would be very glad if someone can help me on this grammar. I want sample sentences and explanation. I'm looking forward to learning this grammar from you. Many thanks!

Juls

You shouldn't have said that it was from your teacher. However, I'll try to help you. Here is the example: "The light illuminates many people."
"The" and "many"--> article/determiner
light --> inanimate (subject)
illuminate --> verb
people --> animate (object)

I'm not a teacher

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Boris:

I was just wondering: Did you accidentally forget the "s" in "The light illuminates many people"?

James

Boris Richard

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Boris:

I was just wondering: Did you accidentally forget the "s" in "The light illuminates many people"?

James
Oh, I forgot the "s". Thank you for the correction, James. :up:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Rocks are hard.
Cars pollute.
Chemistry is difficult.

Etc

Simply choose something that is not alive, which is all that an inanimate noun is, and make it the subject of a sentence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Absent people's names, the vast majority of nouns are inanimate objects. This should not be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.