Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Which of these sentence is correct?

Basically, the more we are the easier it is for me to organize the session.
Basically, the more we are the easier it will be for me to organize the session.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "The more we are" doesn't make any sense.

The more I eat, the fatter I get.
The more you talk, the more I want to scream.
The more you study, the easier it will be for you to pass the exam.

Did you mean "The more people there are, the easier it is/will be for me to organise the session"?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
No. "The more we are" doesn't make any sense. ....Did you mean "The more people there are, the easier it is/will be for me to organise the session"?

Hi.

In such case, is it incorrect to use the pronoun to refer to the whole of people involved in the situation or action when the speaking subject takes part in it?

The more people we are... (¿?)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The more people we are" or "The more participants we are" work if the speaker is including himself/herself in the "we". They're both better than "The more we are", in my opinion.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"The more people we are" or "The more participants we are" work if the speaker is including himself/herself in the "we". They're both better than "The more we are", in my opinion.

With the pronoun "we", the speaker is obviously in the formula.

And there is a clear difference between making no sense and not being the best option.

Is it correct or not?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The more we are, the easier it is .... - We are more, so it is easier...
There more people there are, the easier it is... - There are more people, so it is easier...

Which one makes sense?

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the one below makes sense.
'The more people there are, the easier it is...'── If there are more people, it will be easier...'

Not a teacher.

dodonnell.btl

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hello,

This is a common error when speaking about how many people there are in a group. So, "the more we are" should be "the more of us there are".
example : There are ten of us on the team.

A teacher

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the one below makes sense.
'The more people there are, the easier it is...'── If there are more people, it will be easier...'

Not a teacher.

If you look at post #2, you will see that I already suggested "The more people there are, the easier it is ...".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I already read your post#2 before writing my post#7.
My point is that your suggestion means ' If there are more people, it will be easier...' instead of 'There are more people, so it is easier...', which was written by tedmc in his post#6.
Am I right or wrong? Not a teacher.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I will put it more clearly: does "the more we are" make sense in English or not? Is it English or not?

I have googled "the more we are, the" and got 17,400,000 results. Among them:

On a finite planet, the optimum population providing the best quality of life for all, is clearly much smaller than the maximum, permitting bare survival. The more we are, the less for each; fewer people mean better lives.

(Source = http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/oct/23/why-population-growth-costs-the-earth-roger)

And many other expressions including it.

Is it or not?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The more we are, the less for each; fewer people mean better lives

The article was talking about rapid growth and overpopulation of the earth. Lesser words are used in the three phrases to make the concluding remark more poetic.
The first phrase 'the more we are' does not sound proper if it is used in a standalone sentence.

not a teacher

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
[Not a teacher]

The first phrase 'the more we are' does not sound proper if it is used in a standalone sentence.

I am agree with this, but your reference to the use of a poetic technique related to the meaning of the two sentences to explain the inclusion of the phrase seems quite personal to me.

I have seen it with many other meanings, and without any need for lesser words.

Another example:

The more we are, the better we are able to teach our students about it.

Source: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jii/475...ation-with-stuart-hall?rgn=main;view=fulltext

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
[Not a teacher]

I am agree with this, but your reference to the use of a poetic technique related to the meaning of the two sentences to explain the inclusion of the phrase seems quite personal to me.

I have seen it with many other meanings, and without any need for lesser words.

Another example:

The more we are, the better we are able to teach our students about it.

Source: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jii/475...ation-with-stuart-hall?rgn=main;view=fulltext
As it is, and taking more to imply more people, I would be strongly inclined to disagree. However, the whole quote is:

"We ought to be more methodologically self-conscious without falling into a methods course, whatever that might be. We ought to be reflexive about our own means of doing so. The more we are, the better we are able to teacher our students about it." (highlighted by me)

And I read it as "the more methodologically self-conscious and the more reflexive we are, the better we are able to teacher our students about it". It's not so nicely versed as in the original, in fact it's awkward and people do not normally speak in so long sentences. But you can't just go and pick up phrases out of their context - it can be dangerous. ;-)

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
As it is, and taking more to imply more people, I would be strongly inclined to disagree. However, the whole quote is:

"We ought to be more methodologically self-conscious without falling into a methods course, whatever that might be. We ought to be reflexive about our own means of doing so. The more we are, the better we are able to teacher our students about it." (highlighted by me)

I didn't take this text to exemplify the use of "the more" as "the more people", but to express other meanings.

Obviously the phrase only works in its context, but what I am trying to know is whether a sentence like the first one in post #1 is grammatically incorrect or not, inferring that the pronoun refers to "all of us".

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I didn't take this text to exemplify the use of "the more" as "the more people", but to express other meanings.

Obviously the phrase only works in its context, but what I am trying to know is whether a sentence like the first one in post #1 is grammatically incorrect or not, inferring that the pronoun refers to "all of us".
What in comment 2 makes you look for other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.