• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb What is the meaning of "benefits" in this sentence?

Hey guys, hope you all are doing great. I was watching a movie called "L*P dance" which is based on a true story but I couldn't understand the meaning of some sentences. here, I am going to ask you one of them but first I'll give you the context. The movie is about a girl (Monica) who is an aspiring actress that makes a pact with her fiancÚ to take a job as an dancer to care for her cancer stricken father. When Monica meets the doctor, he tells her: your father's benefits have run out for his hospital coverage. It would only cover hospice care. This is an itemized sheet, showing that he's exhausted his acute care coverage in the hospital. But we have an excellent hospice program here. Of course, it could be costly for patients who don't have outside coverage or assistance, you understand. Now, I don't understand the meaning of "benefits" here. Does the doctor mean that the father's money has run out or he is saying that as there is no progress in his cancer and he can't be treated, he can't use hospital services? Thank you in advance,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the meaning of "benefits" in this sentence?

Usually, in this context, "benefits" refers to insurance to pay for hospital care.