Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello, is it too posh/prim pronouncing the word "year" as /jɜː/.

I've found in a dictionary that only 20% of the population pronounce it in that way; the vast majority of people use /jɪə/.

I ask because I just noticed that I use /jɜː/, and I don't want to sound as if I were a character from Downton Abbey (the posh ones!).

Thank you :up:.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I'd be interested to know which dictionary told you that. Could you provide a link to it?

If it's a question of RP (Received Pronunciation) then it can't be too posh. It just is. I speak RP because I grew up and was educated in a part of England that uses RP as a standard, but I pronounce year as /jɪə(r)/

I can see a stab at humour in your post, and I do understand what you mean, but the real question you should ask yourself is 'What sort of English do I (want to) speak?'

You can't pronounce some words one way because you don't want to sound like this, and other words another way because you don't want to sound like that. You have to be consistent.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I am not a teacher.

I'd be interested to know which dictionary told you that. Could you provide a link to it?

If it's a question of RP (Received Pronunciation) then it can't be too posh. It just is. I speak RP because I grew up and was educated in a part of England that uses RP as a standard, but I pronounce year as /jɪə(r)/

I can see a stab at humour in your post, and I do understand what you mean, but the real question you should ask yourself is 'What sort of English do I (want to) speak?'

You can't pronounce some words one way because you don't want to sound like this, and other words another way because you don't want to sound like that. You have to be consistent.

It's from a trustworthy dictionary: "Longman Pronunciation Dictionary". I can't provide a link since it's a software, but I've attached a snapshot.

Capture.jpg

I've heard it so many times on radio 4 (BBC), that I've picked it up. I know that radio 4 it's known for having well spoken presenters, but I think it might come across as old fashioned or posh or something.

I know what you mean by having consistency and sticking to a particular type of English; what I wish to do is to speak in standard English without embarrassing myself sounding like a comic character.

Thank you for your reply.

David Smith

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In practice, you'd probably find native English speakers pronounce it the second way if they're saying the word in isolation, but the first way if they're saying it as part of a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.