Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, could you check my pronunciation? I uploaded the audio at http://vocaroo.com/i/s1x15HRrt94M
Is it understandable? The following is the script
It's an issue that has plagued humanity since the dawn of the mobile phone.
We use our trusty pocket computers so much that they rarely get through a day with any power left.
Many of us plug them in at night and fall asleep, content in the knowledge that we’ll wake up to a fully charged device.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first points that immediately struck me are:

1) "That" in the first sentence sounds like "dat".
2) "The" at the end of the first sentence sounds like "de".
3) You got the stress on the wrong syllable in "content". You put the stress on the first syllable which is right if you're using the noun "con-tent" but this is the adjective, and it's pronounced "con-tent".

Your speed is good and you're endeavouring to enunciate well. Your phrasing is a little off but not bad.

Last edited:

neoneo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for checking. I'm Japanese and posted the audio to Japanese BBS. I was told that my English was so awful at stress, intonation and many other points that no one would understand it at all. And I was suggested to ask native speakers to check it at ESL forums. That made me worry about my English.
Your comment is very helpful. I seem to have a weak point in TH sound. I completely misunderstood how to pronounce "content" when I use it as the adjective.
Thank you again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.