Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
hello, I am not sure this place is correct to ask you a question, but if not, please tell me I will delete this post.

I am an office worker and not a native english speaker,
I have a question about "please".

I am sending many emails to our clients(buyers), most of them are the quotation offering to my client.
today, I sent an email to a client in US, I said "Find below quotation...." but my boss said this is unpolite and asked me to add "please"

I can't find any big different in "find below..." or "please find below...". But may be what my boss said is also correct, because I never meet him, without "please" also may look like unpolite.

So can you please tell me if you feel rudeness or disrespect if someone email you "find below quotation..." without please.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I am not sure if this place is correct to ask you a question, but if not, please tell me and I will delete this post.

I am an office worker and not a native English speaker,
I have a question about "please".

I send many emails to our clients(buyers); most of them are offering a quotation.
Today I sent an email to a client in the US. I said "Find below quotation....", but my boss said "This is impolite" and asked me to add "please".

I can't find any big difference in "find below..." or "please find below...". But maybe what my boss said is also correct, because I never meet him, without "please" also may look like impolite.

So can you please tell me if you feel rudeness or disrespect if someone emails you "find below quotation..." without "please".

Not including "Please" in this sort of correspondence is not actually rude, but it is good manners to include it, so I would agree with your boss that you should do so. Everyone likes to hear or read "please" when they are being asked to do something even as simple as "finding a quotation", so why not make your clients feel good? After all, you said "please tell me" twice in your post...

Please also see the amendments I have made to your post. I'm afraid that I'm not sure what you mean by the passage I have underlined.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It may not look like a huge difference, but adding politeness is almost never a negative thing, so why not add it?

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I worked in sales and purchasing for many years, and it is standard procedure to include "please" in the situation you mentioned.

Please find below our quotation:
Please find below the information you requested:
We are pleased to quote as follows:

...are all very standard phrases used when submitting a quotation or proposal. Likewise, it is also customary to conclude with a "thank you" statement of some type, such as:

We thank you for your inquiry, and hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you for your request; if you require any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The essential thing is to be polite, but not to lay it on too thick - as in "We humbly beg your indulgence in perusing our quotation, and assure you of our continuing service...etc etc"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Manners cost nothing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "please" to someone you have never met. It's actually better to be polite to strangers.

klee2948

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Wow, many thanks for your advice and correction to my writing. it's wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.