Piggybacking and Tailgating

Hello,
    My question this time is very simple.
    What are "Piggybacking" and "Tailgating" ?

I know the terms means the act of entering restricted areas without IDs. However I am very confused since I found two different meanings for each words.

Piggybacking:

1. Piggybacking can occur when an authorized person knowingly or unknowingly provides access through a portal to another traveling in the same direction.

2. Piggybacking occurs when an authorized person holds a protected door open for another person that he or she perceives to have authorized access.

Tailgating:

1. Tailgating can occure when an authorized person knowingly or unknowingly provides unauthrozied access through a portal to another traveling in the opposite direction.

2. Tailgating is the act of an unauthorized person slipping through a door after an authorized person.

So, which difinition is correct?

Thank you,
    Higurashi

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Piggybacking and Tailgating

Hello Higurashi

It seems to me that Piggybacking #2 is a subset of #1. So I would choose #1.

With tailgating, however, #1 seems wrong to me, as you have to be on someone's "tail" (i.e. behind them) to "tailgate". So I would choose the second definition of tailgating.

Have a good Wednesday,
    MrP