Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
"Not even these well contrived securities sufficed to save from the uttermost agonies of living inhumation, a wretch to these agonies foredoomed!"

Can I rephrase the above-mentioned so as to read: "Not even these well contrived securities sufficed to save a wretch foredoomed to agonies from the uttermost agonies of living inhumation."

Do they convey the same meaning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Not even these well contrived securities sufficed to save from the uttermost agonies of living inhumation, a wretch to these agonies foredoomed!"

Can I rephrase the above-mentioned so as to read: "Not even these well contrived securities sufficed to save a wretch, foredoomed to these agonies, from the uttermost agonies of living inhumation."

Do they convey the same meaning?

Yes - so long as you include the second "these", as shown in red. This is because the original passage makes it clear that the agonies to which the wretch is foredoomed are specifically those of "living intumation".

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Never mind the fact that "inhumation" is so rare a word that I have never seen or heard it before in my life. In my opinion you should prefer a synonym if you want to be understood.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Can I rephrase the above-mentioned so as to read: "Not even these well contrived securities sufficed to save a wretch foredoomed to agonies from the uttermost agonies of living inhumation."

No! You're not rephrasing. Rephrasing is using different words, and you've only changes a few words. To rephrase, you need to say what the passage means in your own words.

For example: "a wretch to these agonies foredoomed" = an unfortunate person who will not be able to avoid suffering = someone facing a miserable fate.

That's rephrasing: finding new words to convey the same meaning.

The idea is to read the passage and then explain it - not repeat it. This will help show how well you understand what you've read.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.