English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Italy
Hello everyone,

I live in Italy and have recently started to teach English (farming doesn't pay the bills these days). At the moment I help a few people that already have a good grasp of the language.

To improve my teaching I am taking an on-line TEFL course which I am halfway through.

Anyway, I have been asked to teach a man in his late forties that doesn't speak a word of English, alongside his eleven year-old daughter that is, and I quote, doing very well at school.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about it. My plan is to try to teach them the same subject matter each lesson, but with dad's lesson being very structured whilst the apple of his eye's is unstructured.

Any advice will be very gratefully received. Sods law says that this post will be full of errors.

Please be kind.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Wow - talk about being chucked in at the deep end! However, before deciding on how to structure your classes, I recommend meeting both of your prospective students for an initial get-together. You might find that "doesn't speak a word of English" actually equates to managing "Hello" and counting to ten or even more. I lost track of how many Spaniards told me they didn't speak a word but then managed a very basic conversation. The same goes for the child. In whose opinion is this child doing very well at English at school? Did that come from her English teacher? Is that teacher a native speaker?

My initial reaction is to say that it won't be a great idea to try to teach them together but you might not have a choice if you want the work.

The most important thing is to get a level test done with them both as soon as you can and go from there.

Hungrydog

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Italy
Thanks for taking the time to reply emsr2d2.

So, I took on board what you said and spent a week or so alternating between planning and fretting. I really didn't want to do it but I do need the money. Anyway, 'twas the night before the big day when I received a text saying that due to family problems they would have to delay for a few months.

Should they get back to me I'll tell them that I can't teach them together. It's not worth the grey hairs.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It would not have been easy if he's a true beginner as it would have been difficult to engage her interest and move at his speed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, at least you now have the chance to get some teaching practice in before (if) they come back to you for classes! Good luck with the rest of your teaching. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.