• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

A question about word order

Hello

I decided to ask you folks a question about word order in English. Generally I more or less (okay lets make it less know what the word order should be but this time I got a bit confused

In a simple case when we have an adjective noun phrase lets say "red apple" the verb is in front of the noun. That seems kinda simple.

If we have a noun as adjective phrase e.g. "love story" the noun "love" works as an adjective and describes the "story" so we know that it is a story about love.

My question is: What happens if we have a phrase like "The B object is defined in...". Is it okay??? Or should it be "The object B is defined in..."? For me the first option sounds better and I've been using it since I can remember.

I must be honest at this point and confess that, after reviewing some basic English grammar, I am beginning to realize that I have been wrong. What we want to say is that B is an object so the word "object" should work as an adjective and come first? Am I right or am I missing something? I mean is there any situation in which the phrase "The B object is defined in..." would be correct???

I'd be grateful if some English teacher, English native speaker or simply someone who knows English could comment on this.

Cheers
    iocum

PS Such expressions come up very often in math related texts. One can come across sentences like: "The matrix A is defined in..." or "The function f is constant."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A question about word order

Sentence:

The B object is defined in....

Well, that certainly looks like a sentence. Is the word order OK? Well, it certainly looks like it is. Are you going to supply the rest of the sentence now?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Sentence:

The B object is defined in....

Well, that certainly looks like a sentence. Is the word order OK? Well, it certainly looks like it is. Are you going to supply the rest of the sentence now?

Well I gave this part of a sentence as an example. The whole one could read: "The B object is defined in the previous paragraph." or should it be "The object B is defined in the previous paragraph."?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

<<<In a simple case when we have an adjective noun phrase lets say "red apple" the verb is in front of the noun. That seems kinda simple.>>>

Did you mean the adjective is in front of the noun? Please do not use slang words like "kinda" on this forum.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Regardless of the rest of the sentence, I would prefer "Object B is/was defined ...". I see no need for the definite article.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    <<<In a simple case when we have an adjective noun phrase lets say "red apple" the verb is in front of the noun. That seems kinda simple.>>>

Did you mean the adjective is in front of the noun? Please do not use slang words like "kinda" on this forum.
    Yes I meant an adjective in front of a noun e.g. "big apple". I used "red" incorrectly in this case.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Well, I don't know what you meant, but "red apple" is also correct, and "red" is an adjective.