• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Listen to "Talking" radios for improving English

Hi Teachers,

I am now listening to US and UK online "Talking" radios for improving my English on taking with native and natural English. I have been listening for few weeks but found it is hard to improve. Now I want to know if anything wrong or anything missing on my studying method.

My problem is:
    If you ask me listen to songs without lyrics or listen to speeches on radio without speech scripts, I can understand 30 to 50 percent of the content. If the songs or speeches are speaking slowly, then the understanding would be 50 to 70 percent.
    But if you also provide the song lyrics and speech scripts, I can understand 90 to 100 percent even sometimes there are some unknown words.

Please help me to find the real reason for my situation about why it is hard to improve. If anything wrong/missing on the studying method, please also correct me.

You can ask me more if the above is not enough.

Thanks.
    Last edited by fenglish; 09-Feb-2015 at 18:02. Reason: modify

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Listen to "Talking" radios for improving English

Understanding song lyrics is a real challenge so I wouldn't worry about that. When you say "speeches", are you actually listening to formal speeches (like TED talks) or are you simply listening to people speaking/chatting? My recommendation with using radio to improve your English comprehension usually revolves around getting used to the rhythm and cadence of the language. I suggest to my students that they have the radio playing whenever possible but not to to actively listen to it. Do other things. Have the radio on while you're cooking, cleaning, showering etc but there is no need to sit down and listen intently to it.

You said you've been listening to UK and US radio. Perhaps, for a few weeks, you should concentrate on one or the other. The differences between the two might be relatively minimal in certain respects, but there are enough differences to confuse your ear.

When I lived in Spain, I found a "talk" radio station and I switched it on first thing in the morning and turned it off last thing at night. I didn't once sit down and concentrate on the words, I simply let the speech wash over me and around me. It took a few weeks but eventually I realised that I was understanding well over 50% of what I was hearing and, depending on the speaker, sometimes more like 80%. The Spanish are well-known for talking at a million miles an hour so I was very proud of myself!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi,

The radio I am listening to is "Share Radio". It is simply people speaking and chatting. See below picture for the station location. You can find this station in TuneIn Radio application on android phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share radio.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	2052

I want to know if this station is suitable for studying or not. Do I need to change to "TED talks" station for better and faster studying?
    I usually listen to this radio station intently at night.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

TED isn't a radio station. It's a website full of 20-minute presentations on every subject you could ever want. It's better for formal study in listening comprehension. Look HERE.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.