• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

bound ?

What is the meaning of bound in this phrase? i think that is something like forced but not sure.
    His schooling ended at ten, and at twelve he was bound apprentice to his brother James, a printer, who published the "New England Courant."

Last edited by emsr2d2; 10-Feb-2015 at 16:45. Reason: Enlarged font so it's readable on smaller devices

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: bound ?

To be "bound (as an) apprentice" was how young people learned a trade from mediaeval times. The child's parent or guardian would enter into an agreement with a craftsman, whereby the child would work for that craftsman (often for very little or no pay) for a period of between 3 to 14 years, depending on the craft involved. The craftsman's part of the bargain was that he would teach the apprentice all the skills and knowledge of his craft. At the end of his apprenticeship, the pupil would be recognised as a master craftsman in his own right. The agreement was binding to both parties. Orphans could be forced into an apprenticeship, but in the case you are asking about, I should think that being "bound apprentice" to his brother would have been very much by choice.
    Apprenticeships are still fairly common in the UK; indeed, the Government is very keen to expand the number available. The pay is a great deal better now!
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....