[Grammar] Correct my Daily Task Report please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EWABH

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
Hello.

In my work, I’m doing new task every day, and suppose to write a brief report about that job.
I have been advised to use passive vice as it is the way technical report is done.
Here under is a sample of what I wrote, please have a look and correct me if I’m wrong.

SAMPLE:

“ The station was visited and two pumps were found broken. One of them was repaired and the other is waiting for material ”.

Thank you in advance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your usage is fine. The passive voice is often used to avoid repetitive uses of "I" in reports.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have been advised to use passive vice ...

Your misspelling has resulted in a sentence with a very different meaning from your intended one! ;-)

Duke of Normandy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello.

In my work, I’m doing new task every day, and suppose to write a brief report about that job.
I have been advised to use passive vice as it is the way technical report is done.
Here under is a sample of what I wrote, please have a look and correct me if I’m wrong.

SAMPLE:

“ The station was visited and two pumps were found broken. One of them was repaired and the other is waiting for material ”.

Thank you in advance.

Good morning,

though I am no British I learned and keep learning the language with a kin interest in it and so would I say that the following sentence could be more proper : "The station had been visited - Even though << to visit >> has kept is ancient meaning of someone visiting/ calling upon someone else I think - or checked (up?), and so two pumps were found broken. Out of the two onehas been repaired while some material is awaited for the second to be fixed too/ is awaited to repair the second as well."

I hope I making no mistake in here.

Wishing you all the best.

and with all my regards,

Kevin-Yvart Frappart.

Duke of Normandy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Your misspelling has resulted in a sentence with a very different meaning from your intended one! ;-)

Good morning,

you are right and I also fell on this one wondering whether it was a misspelling or the true intention of the man to make a pun out of his post.

It is a very good one indeed.

regards,

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good morning,

though I am no British I learned and keep learning the language with a kin interest in it and so would I say that the following sentence could be more proper : "The station had been visited - Even though << to visit >> has kept is ancient meaning of someone visiting/ calling upon someone else I think - or checked (up?), and so two pumps were found broken. Out of the two onehas been repaired while some material is awaited for the second to be fixed too/ is awaited to repair the second as well."

I hope I making no mistake in here.

Wishing you all the best.

and with all my regards,

Kevin-Yvart Frappart.
Welcome to Using English.
There are a number of problems with your version.
1. No reason for the past perfect "had been"
2. Don't use "and so" - just "and."
3. Yours become very wordy - there is no need for "Out of the two." One has been repaired and the other...
4. "Some material is awaited" is not at all natural."
5. It is clear that the second one will be fixed when the material arrives.

The version suggested above yours is fine.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Kevin, please read this extract from the Forum Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

On this occasion Barb was kind enough to correct your mistakes. If I had read it first I would have deleted it for the above reasons.

Last edited:

EWABH

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain

:oops: Ohhhh, sorry, at the beginning I thought that I have to use "adviced" instead of "advised" until I noticed the misspelling and search for the meaning. Of course I intended to say " passive voice "

Thanks for MikeNewYork and emsr2d2 for checks and corrections.

Happy with my first experience in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.