• English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Sentence Help

Hi, I have this sentence I'm having some trouble with:

"I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting "

Then I want to add in this or something like it: "I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, and use it to get a grant no less "

I want to make sure I'm using the phrase "no less" correctly? I think I am. But there are also a couple similar (but probably not completely interchangeable) phrases that might be more appropriate: "let alone" and "much less."

I also want to make sure "and" is the correct and also best conjunction to be used there? But what I said "and use it to get a grant no less" is still the gist of what I'm trying to say. Thank you. Appreciate the help.

Now full disclosure: I already posted this on another English grammar site and got the following suggestions:

These seem the best way to express your idea. "No less" is possible, but not what I would choose.

1. I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, let alone use it to get a grant.

2. I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, and certainly not to use it to get a grant.

I'm sure they're passable, but neither of these really roll off the tongue for me when you say/read them. A fresh perspective and someone else's help would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sentence Help

Both of your examples are good choices. (They might not"roll off the tongue" but they are good choices.)

I don't understand why you are having trouble with those sentences. Is your information incorrect?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Both of your examples are good choices. (They might not"roll off the tongue" but they are good choices.)

I don't understand why you are having trouble with those sentences. Is your information incorrect?
    Lol what information? And I agree that they don't roll off the tongue, but that's what I'm trying to get them to do is roll off the tongue, which should also answer your question of what I'm having trouble with. I know every option I listed is grammatically correct, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be written better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Your member info says that English is your native language. And, no, we don't agree. I think the sentences you have been given elsewhere are just fine. If they don't "roll off the tongue" then practice might be in order.