[Grammar] "Nobody ... disturb me",SAID THE DOCTOR/ THE DOCTOR SAID. (which is correct ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Nobody ... disturb me",SAID THE DOCTOR/ THE DOCTOR SAID. (which is correct ?)

Disclaimer:-This is not my homework.

"Nobody should try to disturb me",the doctor said to his assistant.

I think that due to "inversion",the sentence should be like this:-"Nobody should try to disturb me",said the doctor to his assistant.
Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct,does they have any difference in meaning?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: "Nobody ... disturb me",SAID THE DOCTOR/ THE DOCTOR SAID. (which is correct ?)

Disclaimer:-This is not my homework.

"Nobody should try to disturb me", [space] the doctor said to his assistant.

I think that due to "inversion",the sentence should be like this:-"Nobody should try to disturb me",said the doctor to his assistant.
Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct, [space] is there any difference in meaning?
They are both correct and mean the same.

The doctor is more likely to say 'I don't want to be disturbed'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "Nobody ... disturb me",SAID THE DOCTOR/ THE DOCTOR SAID. (which is correct ?)

The doctor might say "Don't disturb me", "No-one is to disturb me", "I don't want to be disturbed". He/she would be very unlikely to use "try" in the sentence.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Rover,thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep the "space" thing in mind.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Actually I was practicing "find the errors" from a non standard book. So to find out a grammatical error is important in the process rather than to notice a sentence that is less natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Rover,thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep the "space" thing in mind.

Yet, surprisingly, you didn't put a space after the comma which appears after the word "Rover".

Status
Not open for further replies.