• Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Please help me check: Apology email to professor

The reason for apologizing:
    I requested a reference/recommendation letter from my prof, and he asked me to help him draft it up. I didnt reply his email because i wanted to finish drafting it up, before replying the request email so that i could send the draft along with it. But, a few days later, I received a notification email from the organization i was applying for, saying that my prof already uploaded a recommendation letter. I felt guilty and felt that my action was rude, undeserving of his help. :( please help me, I wanted to deliver the most sincere apology email.

Dear xx,

I am sorry for the delay in replying your previous email. I was having some difficulties in trying to draft up the recommendation letter you requested. Initially I wanted to finish drafting it so I could attach it together with the reply. Unfortunately, I took me some times, and when I checked my email, I saw the email notice from OIST saying that you had already uploaded a letter that I requested. I am terribly sorry for being impolite and causing you a lot of inconvenience. Again, I am terribly sorry. I hope you accept my sincere apology. Thank you for your kind help.

Thank you,
    xx

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Please help me check: Apology email to professor

Quote Originally Posted by annyali93 View Post

Dear xx,

I am sorry for the delay in replying your previous email. I was having some difficulties in trying to draft up the recommendation letter you requested. Initially I wanted to finish drafting it so I could attach it together with the reply. Unfortunately, I took me some times, and when I checked my email, I saw the email notice from OIST saying that you had already uploaded a letter that I requested. I am terribly sorry for being impolite and causing you a lot of inconvenience. Again, I am terribly sorry. I hope you accept my sincere apology. Thank you for your kind help.

Thank you,
    xx
    Dear xx,

I am sorry for the delay in replying to your previous email. I was having some difficulties in trying to draft up the recommendation letter you requested. Initially, I wanted to finish drafting it so I could attach it together with the reply. Unfortunately, it took me longer than expected and when I checked my email, I saw the email notice from OIST saying that you had already uploaded a letter that I requested. I am terribly sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

I hope you accept my sincere apology. Thank you for your kind help.

Best regards,
    xx

In my opinion the original email was good, it only needed a few minor changes. I amended the end as I felt there was some overkill on the apology. I'm sure your professor will understand and will be glad to have helped.
    Last edited by Power English; 17-Feb-2015 at 16:21.